The Ukulele Size Debate - Food for Thought

H

HollyUke

I usually read a lot more on UU than I actually post, but there's been something important to me that I feel needs to be said regarding the validity of ukulele sizes. I decided to take some time out today to offer some "food for thought" on the matter. (I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I wanted to make sure I was thorough in my explanation in the hopes that I am not misunderstood.)

Since becoming a member, I've read many posts about how the soprano is historically the original size, so if you play anything larger it's cheating, or you might as well play a guitar, or worst of all, anything larger is not a true ukulele. It saddens me to read comments like this. For a community of musicians who play the most peaceful, happy instrument in the world, these comments seem harsh, and go against the aloha spirit. (Not that I believe anyone here is out to make others feel bad, or demean anyone else's uke preferences. Though, I've noticed that unfortunately it does end up having that effect in some situations.)

Yes, absolutely, the first Hawaiian ukulele was a standard soprano. But let's look at the early guitar for comparison. Before the dreadnought size and shape was designed, all guitars were smaller in body size and scale length. However, you don't see people in the guitar community saying that a dreadnought is too big to be a true guitar, or that it's cheating to play a guitar that's so big. If someone loves the tone of a smaller-bodied guitar, their sound will be more traditional, though I have yet to hear anyone who plays a more historic-sized guitar criticize anyone else's guitar choices. The dreadnought, though a more modern evolution of the guitar, is beloved by many and is here to stay.

Scientifically, scale length affects the acoustics of an instrument. The same notes played on instruments of different scale lengths do not behave in the same manner, and therefore create different tonal colors. An early parlor guitar has a different acoustic character than a dreadnought, even though they are tuned the same way. (Likewise, a baritone uke sounds and feels uniquely different than any guitar I've ever heard or played. To call it a mini guitar with 4 strings is selling it short.) The same note played on a violin and then a viola will have a different character. The same is also true when listening to soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone saxophones.

What I'm trying to say is, if you like the soprano for it's sound, size, and history, then happily play the soprano. But people who prefer the sound and feel of other sizes should be able to play them without the judgment of others. The ukulele has evolved since the 1800s, just like the guitar and so many other instruments. There is a place for every size ukulele, and they each bring a unique tonal quality to the music we make.

I don't want to upset anyone by posting this, or start anything heated. I just feel as ukulele players we can be more accepting and welcoming of others' musical preferences. Though I frequently play tenor, I absolutely adore the soprano, and have even agreed with a couple posts of feeling "purist" with a soprano in hand. My agreement was rooted in the fact that as I got better at the soprano fret spacing and technique, I was able to feel and experience a taste of that history and tradition through playing a more traditional instrument - I loved it. But that traditional experience is not for everyone, and more importantly, one can still appreciate the historic roots of the soprano while still preferring to play another size. Both re-entrant and linear tuning on larger ukuleles sound absolutely beautiful. No matter what size, or what tuning, I think we can all agree that the ukulele is simply a beautiful instrument. :)

Last edited:
There may be some who feel that a soprano is the only true ukulele, but I think that most feel that there are many variations. I play re-enterent and linier, soprano, concert, tenor and tiple. Sopranos were typically tuned to D a hundred years ago too. Guitars can have 4, 6, 8 or twelvery strings. There are harp guitars. There are nylon and steel strung. Bas, terz, tenor and Spanish to mention a few. There are also multiple tunings and string counts for mandolin and banjo family instruments.

For me, I don't get very concerned about guidelines and labels. I don't play very traditionally either. I play mostly solo pieces and I play with a strap. Enjoy your instrument and play as you like. Music is art and art is creative. Art is not art if it is not open to personal expression.

Thank you for posting. I think that it needed to be said.

Last edited:
Hi Holly,

I have to say, in the time I've been reading (maybe 2 years) and now posting (a week or so) in this forum I do not remember having read too many elitist (and that's what I'll call the traditionalists you are referring to) posts. Sure, there must have been some but I don't think it makes up a substantial part of posts in this forum nor do I think the term elitist, or snob, or what-have-you would refer to a substantial portion of this community. I think you will always have some who cling to tradition for tradition's sake and believe that all who diverge from those traditions are heretics but again, I haven't seen a great many of those people here.

I think the folks here tend to keep the discussions pretty civil and most are more than willing to accept the opinions and arguments of others. I would not have joined this community otherwise. Of the discussions I have read that might fit into the topic of your thread, I would say that many things are said in jest and that the sarcasm or humor of a post might not translate well to a written post on a forum and so, the reader may draw an incomplete and erroneous conclusion regarding the post and its author's intent.

Regards,

David

I don't think there's any debate, everybody has their own preference. I love playing my old Martin because it's fun, but prefer the concert scale, which is what I play most of the time. Also, don't like low G, just like the Hawaiian sound of high G way better, but many like low G, again, that's their preference.

I agree with you mostly
and I still believe if I want to play something bigger than a soprano I would go to my guitars.

All origins are a variety of info and I get it. History is amazing and ironic for a whole slew of things in life.
But we look at the present and for the definition of uke in some minds is that soprano is uke and anything else to them is cheating.

I wonder why it makes you sad to hear that? Perhaps we all should place a smiley after any of our opinions stated to show we weren't grumbling or lacking any "aloha"?
I guess it is all perspective,
I read the same opinions here and I just see it as fun casual discussion. No one is griping or trying to impress anything upon anyone
Here's a smiley for ya in case you think I wrote this in a miserable state :)

I don't think there's any debate, everybody has their own preference. I love playing my old Martin because it's fun, but prefer the concert scale, which is what I play most of the time. Also, don't like low G, just like the Hawaiian sound of high G way better, but many like low G, again, that's their preference.

You're right, debate is really the wrong word to use in this case. I have not seen a single thread where people are actually arguing about this topic. And in my own search to find my “sound” as a ukulele player, I've certainly been seeking out posts, past and present, about the different ukulele sizes, so I’ll admit I’ve been seeing the elitist soprano posts in a more concentrated manner than someone browsing posts on various topics. And if David (bikemech) and Debussychopin are correct in saying that the comments I referred to have been in jest, with sarcasm and humor being the intent, then I just haven’t been picking up on that and I apologize.

And Django and David are absolutely correct - the vast majority of members here are absolutely amazing for their positivity, acceptance of others, and willingness to help. I never meant to imply anything different. It’s the same reason I joined UU, and continue to sign on every day.

Holly, I think that it would be difficult to find anything offensive in your post. Some musicians are very rigid in their beliefs and some are open to change and variations. Neither is right or wrong. It is all personal. The only time that it could be wrong is if someone tried to force their opinion onto others. I feel that your post displayed no judgment of others.

Last edited:
I agree with you mostly
and I still believe if I want to play something bigger than a soprano I would go to my guitars.

All origins are a variety of info and I get it. History is amazing and ironic for a whole slew of things in life.
But we look at the present and for the definition of uke in some minds is that soprano is uke and anything else to them is cheating.

I wonder why it makes you sad to hear that? Perhaps we all should place a smiley after any of our opinions stated to show we weren't grumbling or lacking any "aloha"?
I guess it is all perspective,
I read the same opinions here and I just see it as fun casual discussion. No one is griping or trying to impress anything upon anyone
Here's a smiley for ya in case you think I wrote this in a miserable state :)

I also want to make it clear that though I may have been standing on a proverbial soap box with my lengthy initial post, I was by no means grumbling or in a miserable state. I was just trying to share my musings on the topic. After reading multiple posts in a row where individuals were SEEMINGLY placing judgment on others’ choices of ukulele sizes, it concerned me. I instantly thought, “Wait, this can’t be. Let me start a conversation about this.” Based on your responses it seems I had nothing to worry about, and that’s awesome.

And my smiley was only added to emphasize my last sentence about the ukulele being a beautiful instrument, not to sugar coat the entire post. I’m truly sorry if it offended you. That was not my intent. I also totally respect the fact that you'd rather play guitar instead of playing a larger ukulele. The guitar is an amazing instrument.

I'm not saying anyone who stated those things you state were in jest. I believe for the most part, all opinions stated here are in sincerity. My point is that no one is being elitist nor trying to impress that opinion over anyone else in any way. And certainly not in a sense where they can't accept other opinions or what not.
I believe everyone here is in a manner of speaking, humble, or humble enough to be mindful not to be elitist as most know that the ukulele or any instrument or art is hard enough and no one is 'there' , completely accomplished, enough to try to toot their own horn here on any opinions they state.
On the other hand, again I say this in good spirits let me place a smiley here :) , perhaps your view of people as implying something other than simply their opinions is judgment on your part as well? Different side of same coin? I'm not blaming you anything..just making mention that maybe you're just reading somethings a bit too deeply.

Now I am one who only believes in learning the soprano. However my life is not guided by absolutes. It dosent mean I'll boycott uke clubs where a tenor will be used or write a letter to the Guitar Center for carrying too many concert ukes and advertising them as traditional instruments of Hawaii or bash kalei gamiao over the head with his cutaway tenor kamaka. I could care less what instrument he plays, as he is my favorite uke musician, as long as he keeps producing wonderful expressive performances.

Anyways, again, I'm not in any state of hurt, anger, bitterness or trying to get back on you..I'm just casually talking here w a smile as I type this.

The negative thing about forums and text is that you can't get the full communication across without someone or somepeople always misunderstanding intent, heart, or attitude.

I also want to make it clear that though I may have been standing on a proverbial soap box with my lengthy initial post, I was by no means grumbling or in a miserable state. I was just trying to share my musings on the topic. After reading multiple posts in a row where individuals were SEEMINGLY placing judgment on others’ choices of ukulele sizes, it concerned me. I instantly thought, “Wait, this can’t be. Let me start a conversation about this.” Based on your responses it seems I had nothing to worry about, and that’s awesome.

And my smiley was only added to emphasize my last sentence about the ukulele being a beautiful instrument, not to sugar coat the entire post. I’m truly sorry if it offended you. That was not my intent. I also totally respect the fact that you'd rather play guitar instead of playing a larger ukulele. The guitar is an amazing instrument.

No one is offended !

If you get to know me most will tell you it takes a LOT to offend me.
And I never said youre in miserable state.
Let's all give a group hug here. Enough of this. We keep digging deeper in the hole.

But one thing I am appreciative about posts like yours is that it is good to see some people take concern or are sensitive to important matters , yes , these are. So we come out to discuss honestly w you and those who voice it.
There are too many apathy and complacency in society so I feel it is refreshing. But again. No one is offended in this thread

Last edited:
I appreciate the OP taking the time to write this so eloquently and thoughtfully.

I just wanted to say, because I recently started a thread about uke sizes, that I in no way meant to imply, or lead people to believe I thought, that one ukulele size, shape or variety was in any way more or less legitimate than any other.

I'm something of a traditionalist as far as what I personally like to own and play, but I also LOVE the varieties out there. I may not care to own, say, a steel string electric uke shaped like a Gibson Flying V electric guitar with a flame paint job and LED lights blinging all over it, but if I see someone playing such an instrument, I just think "Cool!!"

Room enough for all. I came from the world of electric guitar and bass. You start thinking about whammy bars, fretless, active electronics, 4,6,8,10,12&16 string instruments, etc., the options can blow your mind.

There is nothing intrinsic to any kind of instrument that makes it right or wrong except what makes the individual player happy and works best for creating vibrations to fill the atmosphere around you with music and maybe instill some joy in whomever may be listening.

Because--we must never forget!--We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Music is very, very potent magic. It makes no difference what "wand" you use...what is in your heart and mind is where it happens.

The indian; not the arrow.

No one is offended !

If you get to know me most will tell you it takes a LOT to offend me.
And I never said youre in miserable state.
Let's all give a group hug here. Enough of this. We keep digging deeper in the hole.

But one thing I am appreciative about posts like yours is that it is good to see some people take concern or are sensitive to important matters , yes , these are. So we come out to discuss honestly w you and those who voice it.
There are too many apathy and complacency in society so I feel it is refreshing. But again. No one is offended in this thread

Oh good! Haha yes, a group hug sounds like it's in order.

The other thing I would add is that while I am relatively new to the forums (somewhere under or over a year), I have not seen any of the virtuosos who choose to play soprano (or concert) over tenor. It would be hard for a lot of those players to do what they do on a soprano--as many of them play well above the 12th fret.

Meanwhile, this topic is a lot like motorcycles to me: it really doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you are a fellow rider. I am going to wave as you go by (unless I am in the middle of a curve). Likewise, it doesn't matter what scale of ukulele you play: as long as you play ukulele, you are a fellow player.

I think the problem starts when someone makes a "definitive statement" about a particular size uke. If "personal opinions" were always stated as such, fewer feathers would get "ruffled." (let's hope there isn't anyone who hates multiple parenthesis reading this, LOL)

@Holly: I love you for making such an eloquent post and expressing yourself so well on such a strained topic. I have also observed this 'separatist' and parochial attitude. Kudos to you.
-
There was a reason that Baskin Robbins Ice Cream had 31+ flavors.

Think about it - every 'choice' is a good one for somebody...and it does not make them 'wrong'. ;):eek::music:

-

Last edited:
Holly, I wish we had a LIKE button. I thoughorly enjoyed your posts and look forward to more. Your points are valid and very well stated.
I've seen fights started over seemingly innocent text messages, because how we say it is as important as what we say, and you can't detect voice inflection from a written post.
I play mainly a concert uke, and I have no qualms about anyone playing any size.

I read the op's original post and then a few of the others. Seems to me it could be a talk about the human race all together. Lol......Any instrument that makes one happy, any human that makes one happy is worth having no matter what size or education or....whatever. Just sayin'. :) The only thing that matters when you leave this world is the love you gave away.

We all have opinions, & that is what I tend to read into posts that on the surface may look like statements. :)

Each Nation has a different way of saying things, so the trick is to not put someone down, because at first reading it seems to be a statement.

I know no mal intent comes from people who post on here, just that sometimes someone may mis interpret what is actually being said, don't be too hasty to hit 'reply'. :cool:

I love the variety of posts on here, a lot give food for thought, this posting being one.
I like all sizes of uke, even those I personally have difficulty playing, they're all good. ;)

My present preference is tenor scale, but smaller bodied, so I'm definately not 'main stream'.

Well, of course, the answer has to be absolutely the LARGEST one possible .... and I only speak because of my recent acquisition (the Pono Nui Big Bari BT-10!) Personally, I think the size of uke chosen for playing a particular song is the one that sounds right for that song ... and, beyond that, I don't have any preferences. I suppose I do feel, though, that as the original uke size, the soprano really has to really win out. (And, of course, the esteemed Mr. Mountain Goat is quite right ... it is not the size, but what one can do with it that matters; er... but some of us have more talent in that direction than others, Jon!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom