Advice On My Kala KA-SRT-CTG-CE

Ziggy6894

Reaction score
Could someone please give me some advice? I would greatly appreciate it. I ordered a Kala KA-SRT-CTG-CE uke a few weeks ago and have been playing it about 2.5 weeks now. It is a beautiful uke with solid cedar top and and solid rosewood back and sides. But something is just off. It says it comes stocked with Aquila strings but not which ones. I am guessing they are super nylgut. The "off" i speak of is not with volume but with the sound so its not like they are ringing out like Aquila does on some ukes. I have a set of Kala flourocarbons and Martin 620 flourocarbons here but will have to bring them to the music store to get restrung. Before I do that I wanted to ask if either of those sets would likely help, and if so, which should I try first? If not, what string should I get (as I am almost certain the issue is either in the stringing or just the strings themselves not sounding right on this uke)?

I would really appreciate any advice from anyone. Thank you very much!

Replacing the Aquila super nylguts on my Lanikai lu-22 to Martin strings improved the sound immensely. My guess is that whichever of the two flurocarbons you switch to will give you a different sound than the Aquila that hopefully you like better. There are youtube videos that teach you how to restring ukuleles if you are interested in doing it yourself.

Thank you very much!!! I appreciate your response. I think I will follow your lead and put the Martin's on. Thank you for the You Tube referral. I just do not trust myself restringing my better ukes. But I will watch the videos as I am not even sure exactly what it entails and pherhaps I am building restringing up into something more complex than what it is.

Thank you very much!!! I appreciate your response. I think I will follow your lead and put the Martin's on. Thank you for the You Tube referral. I just do not trust myself restringing my better ukes. But I will watch the videos as I am not even sure exactly what it entails and pherhaps I am building restringing up into something more complex than what it is.

I just do not trust myself restringing my better ukes. But I will watch the videos as I am not even sure exactly what it entails and pherhaps I am building restringing up into something more complex than what it is.
Restringing is really not that difficult. I have restrung my ukes several times on different types of bridges. To be honest it takes me longer than I like and I watch the video beforehand because I forget. But I do it. The absolute worst thing that could happen if you try it yourself on your good ukulele, or any other, is that you won't succeed and you'll still have to go to the music shop.. Your ukulele won't explode, and you won't cause it any bodily harm. Unintended positive outcome will be that you will refine your tuning ear because the strings will need to be retuned frequently until they settle in. All this might sound intimidating but it will really help you develop your musical skills as well.

620's are soo thick though.
I have the atp-ctg, which is also cedar top. Im on TI for the bass strings, and oasis for the trebles, and I like it pretty well. Maybe also good on the nicer model you have.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I just watched a couple of the videos. I am going to try it on one of my laminates and see how I do.

Thank you. I have heard great things about the Oasis strings but never related to Kala. Now that I know someone who they worked for on a Kala I am definitely ordering some. I have not heard of the TI but if it is sounding good on yours it is worth a try. They just put the Martins on today and they have already made a huge difference. Again, it could have been the original stringing because the e string was all knotted in the peg when it arrived.

When you put it that way, lol, i might as well start. I have to learn sometime. I guess I get so worried about messing up I do not think logically about, "what could I really mess up?"

Martins were put on this morning, and even before settling they make a huge difference. Based on your advice and the other who have commented I am going to take this stringing head on. Thanks again!

I love a mellower low g set on those babies.....my surrogate "guitar"

Thank you. I have heard great things about the Oasis strings but never related to Kala. Now that I know someone who they worked for on a Kala I am definitely ordering some. I have not heard of the TI but if it is sounding good on yours it is worth a try. They just put the Martins on today and they have already made a huge difference. Again, it could have been the original stringing because the e string was all knotted in the peg when it arrived.

ti is tomastik infeld. They make guitar strings.
They sell singles, and cf27 is good for c and cf30 is good for low G for a tenor scale depending on if you play high or low G.
It's a flat wound metal string meant for classical guitar, but they blend beautifully with flourocarbons, and don't stick out so much as fremonts.

Top Bottom