Any UU members that are Hawaiians in Mānoa?

UkeStuff

Reaction score
I am trying to find a copy of Ernest Ka'ai's The ukulele, a Hawaiian guitar, and how to play it. In the last Ukulele Magazine, this was listed as the earliest ukulele method, from 1910.

There are two copies of the book (39 pages) at the University of Hawaii in Mānoa. Hamilton library, MT645 .K32 1910

Under Copyright law, this book is in the public domain and can be freely copied and shared...so, if there is anyone in the Mānoa area, would you be willing to go to the Hamilton Library at UH Mānoa and scan the book, where it could be shared with all ukulele lovers? If there is a fee for scanning, I know I would be happy to donate to the cause.

And it seems to me that some of the ukulele organizations (e.g. Hall of Fame) would be well served housing digital copies of ukulele works that are now in the public domain.

The only other copies I can find references to online are places like New Jersey (!) where it would be a $22.50 fee to have the book copied.

Choirguy,

I possess a facsimile of this method. I'm currently a busy boy, but assuming no one else is willing to scan it to pdf and send you the copy, I'll post a copy to google docs and send you the link when things slow down in a couple weeks.

Thanks, David. I had e-mailed a couple of universities about the book; the University of Hawaii scanned it and then contacted me. It was a $25 fee for the 1910 edition. This is in the public domain (107 years old), so I shared link to the file. Incidentally, this edition is much more simplistic than David's!

https://ukestuff.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/ukulele_kaai.pdf

Top Bottom