changing the plastic head on a Werco banjolele

Big Chis

Reaction score
Hi, got a werco banjolele with a split plastic head that I'd like to change for a vellum but I'm not sure how to go about this. I've taken the retaining ring off and thats left the plastic head that appears to be stuck to some sort of aluminium ring. Do I need to cut the plastic head off the aluminium ring ? Any pointers as to how to proceed would be appreciated.

The aluminium ring is possibly what is known in the banjo world as the "flesh hoop" ... you'll need that to refit a new skin, but it's unusual, apparently, to find one on a plastic head. Maybe the plastic head isn't original and is a replacement for a previous skin?

Either way, it's all very straightforward if you follow the instructions to the letter ... clean everything, pre-soak the skin, fit the skin and just nip it down so's it's taught, let it dry TOTALLY AND THOROUGHLY, at least 24 hours, the longer the better, then bring it up to tension slowly and evenly.

Do the job right and you'll have a skin that could last 100 years, get it wrong and you could be doing it again next week!

Deal with a reputable supplier. They should provide comprehensive written instructions and be able to answer any queries you have about your specific instrument, even if it means sending them some photographs to clarify a point. I've used "Clifford Essex" in the past and would recommend them to anybody!

Good luck :)

Hi, got a werco banjolele with a split plastic head that I'd like to change for a vellum but I'm not sure how to go about this. I've taken the retaining ring off and thats left the plastic head that appears to be stuck to some sort of aluminium ring. Do I need to cut the plastic head off the aluminium ring ? Any pointers as to how to proceed would be appreciated.

The aluminum ring is part of the plastic head possibly a Remo. You will need a calfskin vellum and a flesh hoop. The hoop you could make yourself out of thick wire . Sometimes vendors of vellum heads will also have flesh hoops available. Just make sure you buy a head that is bigger than you need, it will make the job a lot easier. I use a 12 inch vellum for an 8 inch head, the difference in price is cents but the ease of fitting an oversize head is gold.

Top Bottom