Custom Baritone -- Great Tone and Playability Rock maple and west german spruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevelele

Reaction score
POST EDITED FOR BIG PRICE CHANGE

Four years ago I bought this custom baritone from a local luthier, William Del Pilar, who is highly regarded as a classical guitar maker. As some of you know, I'm very picky about the ukes I buy, and it was his meticulousness and ideas about sound that intrigued me. He created a bracing for which he owns a patent and it's been featured and complimented in news articles. But most importantly, it sounds great.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/03/nyregion/master-guitar-makers-are-leery-of-their-art.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/latino/building-guitars-frequency-article-1.376856

The uke is made out of curly rock maple back and sides and west german spruce top. I certainly don't profess to know anything about whether the special bracing does anything more than a regular fan bracing, but this clip is a decent representation of what it sounds like--to me, it very much has a classical guitar-like sound. You can't buy anything from him anymore because he's moved away, and I think he retired. I'm selling this because I am getting too busy to play the uke and trying to clear space. I would sell this for $1150 plus shipping and insurance (you pay fees). It's in perfect condition.

See photos in a post below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdnbiLJUEb4

Last edited:
Since there is no interest in this, I will reduce the price to ONE MILLION DOLLARS--it's one of the best I've played....

-- edit-- ok, so maybe I really do want to clear space and one million dollars is a bit high. Willing to let it go for $1700 plus shipping though

Last edited:
Closing this thread for now -- can't believe that I almost sold one of my best and favorite ukuleles!

Last edited:
I've waffled on this one, but I've now accepted that selling it is fine.

Steve - On the video you say it has a cedar top but your posting says german spruce top. I suspect your post is correct, but can you clarify. Also, the video doesn't show the instrument as well as pics. Maybe post some pics?

Its spruce not cedar-- apologies for the error. Will try to take some photos soon

I will be moving imminently, so reducing the price on this to $1350 including shipping to CONUS

Last edited:
Ive been gone for a while now—moved for a new job which is very busy. Got married and have a bunch of new things I’m juggling. I’ve stopped playing the ukulele altogether so reduced the price on this substantially to $1150 plus shipping. I originally bought it for just over $2000

Last edited:
Congratulations on your marriage. May you have many happy years together. Best of luck with the new job as well. A pity you don't play anymore.

Sorry, I don't play baritone. Looks like a great deal for someone who does.

No price on your latest post. Current price? Thanks.

Thanks so much!

Congratulations on your marriage. May you have many happy years together. Best of luck with the new job as well. A pity you don't play anymore.

Sorry, I don't play baritone. Looks like a great deal for someone who does.

Do you have a Sound sample? Thanks

Just a couple of questions -

Is a case or gigbag included?

Are there side dots/position markers on the neck?

I know the second question is blasphemy to classical guitar players, but this is a baritone uke, right?

Thanks!

do you mind doing another sound demo please, Steve.
just some simple picking across some basic chords
and single strums to give us a sense of the resonance and warmth of the instrument.
also, can you please let us know what it is currently strung with?
thanks.

It’s in a case—stagg . And it’s a baritone ukulele
Side position markers

Just a couple of questions -

Is a case or gigbag included?

Are there side dots/position markers on the neck?

I know the second question is blasphemy to classical guitar players, but this is a baritone uke, right?

Thanks!

I tried to do one but it was so bad bc I can’t remember how to play the ukulele. I can try to post it but it’s not going to be as good as the YouTube clip. If you want I can try to skype you or something and play the chords you want.

do you mind doing another sound demo please, Steve.
just some simple picking across some basic chords
and single strums to give us a sense of the resonance and warmth of the instrument.
also, can you please let us know what it is currently strung with?
thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom