Wound string issue...

One Man And His Uke

Reaction score
Anyone else had this? I have aquilas on my baritone. Haven't had the baritone that long either. Put a new set on two weeks ago and the winding on the G above the second fret is starting to come undone already. Is this a common thing with wound strings on ukes? They're still very playable but I wonder how much of the silk will get exposed before too long....

I have had the same issue, but 2 weeks seems quick.
Check your uke's second fret. You might try a polished wound string, I experienced longer string life with them.
You may also want to try an all unwound set like "Living Waters".

I have not had that issue, that quickly, but then again I don't have a wound G string. I use Aquila Concert low G strings on my old Harmony baritone, so only the D string is wound. I would have never tried this except that is the way it came when I bought it used. It is a 19" scale.

John

I generally okay tenors and like fluorocarbons. I have one baritone, and some time back Living Waters were suggested...and I bought them. I don't regret it one bit. I think Vic likes them, too (from one of his videos).

So if you aren't a fan of wound lower strings, there are options...but the baritone will not "lean" towards some of the sound of a guitar (in my opinion, that is what happens to the sound with wound strings...but I am not willing to defend that point in a war of words).

Classical guitar strings have 3 wound and 3 unwound. The 3 wound are bass strings. On a baritone, this does translate to 1 wound and 3 unwound. I would tend to agree that wound strings are better for bass and can bring out more of a guitar sound, but I would also think that the treble strings should remain unwound.

The issue is not having enough bass strings to play with the thumb vs treble strings that are played with fingers, if comparing to a guitar, that results in a compromise of any true bass notes.

John

Good point 70sSanO re the classical set up. Anyway, as per Camsuke suggestion, I have checked both the action, which is spot on, and the second fret itself, which is also fine. I do, as I say, do a lot of slides, when playing a blues for example, plus hammer ons and pull offs. In any case I have contacted the seller (the strings were bought on Amazon) and will wait see what they say.

Hi, John!

Classical guitar strings have 3 wound and 3 unwound. The 3 wound are bass strings. On a baritone, this does translate to 1 wound and 3 unwound. I would tend to agree that wound strings are better for bass and can bring out more of a guitar sound, but I would also think that the treble strings should remain unwound.

The issue is not having enough bass strings to play with the thumb vs treble strings that are played with fingers, if comparing to a guitar, that results in a compromise of any true bass notes.

John

Guitar is transposing instrument. The 3rd fret on 5th string (cross in the figure below) is not real centre C. 440Hz is located on A (red circles) and centre C is located on C (yellow circles) in the figure below. Hence low G ukulele's 3rd string (green G) is same as the 4th string on (green G) guitar. We might have no bass strings even on low G in terms of pitch.

picture share

I have had exactly that problem. Only with Aquila wound strings, though. Fremont soloist is fine, as are unwound strings.

I have had exactly that problem. Only with Aquila wound strings, though. Fremont soloist is fine, as are unwound strings.
+1 on the Freemont, they are more expensive but last much longer than most other wound strings , 2 weeks is pretty short lived, but then it hasn't broke yet.

Thanks guys for all replies so far. Have looked at the Living Water ones and will deffo check out the Freemonts too.

Sellers are replacing the strings for me without quibble, thanks for all replies and suggestions. Some proper food for thought :)

The replacement G came this morning, very prompt. I will see how I get on and will at some point try the other suggestions for strings you lovely folk have given me. Cheers.

Top Bottom