Out of necessity I have acquired multi-ukulele syndrome

groan

Reaction score
I wanted to take my Ibanez concert with me to Florida on the 10th but after a call to Westjet I found that they probably would not let me take it with me on the plane. With the hard case I bought it is 26 inches long and the restriction is 21 inches for carry on. :(
Sad, i agreed I would not bring it with me.

But! Who says I can't order one and have it shipped!? So Off to Amazon to find a cheap travel uke.
I found this amazing deal, was the last one on Amazon at $37 US with shipping!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037CL35O/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll bring down a set of Aquila strings to restring it when i get there.

I do have a question, though. Ugh. just realized this. I bought what was advertised as Aquila nylgut concert strings as backups for my Ibanez. Can these be used on my new Dolphin or am I going to have to order soprano strings?
This is what I have https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00MXUJ36M/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_1

I always fly with a tenor in a hard case and have never had an issue. But I usually fly Air Canada so maybe West Jet is different. Thanks for the heads up and enjoy the Dolphin. I think I need one of those too:music:

I always fly with a tenor in a hard case and have never had an issue. But I usually fly Air Canada so maybe West Jet is different. Thanks for the heads up and enjoy the Dolphin. I think I need one of those too:music:

How do you transport? We're flying small aircraft, usually so not much storage except overhead and under seat. The Westget rep I talked to said they don't have additional storage available except for sky-check and I wasn't going to trust my small case to the sky check crew.

I'm hoping I can transport the dolphin back in my luggage somehow or fit it in my backpack/duffel I'll be using for carry-on.
Failing that I'll ask the in-laws to bring it back with them from Fla. They're driving.

I'll take pics when I get it!

Update on the strings. I just got a note from the seller and found out that the Dolphin already comes strung with Aquila Nylgut!
Oh well, I'll have an extra set.

That's what I get for not waiting to hear. I'm so impatient when I get excited for something. I usually jump the gun and buy on impulse. My wallet and wife often complain at the same time.

The most important thing is that you got a new toy at an amazing deal and you're happy. I can't stress that enough. Ukes rock!

Personally, I'd push it. US DoT rules and Westjet policies both favor you. The trick is to board early and to remember that things fit on the diagonal. The last couple times I've travelled, I've stuffed my laptop bag, bulky winter coat, and soprano uke under the seat in front of me. The flight crew's only reactions were "is that a violin?" and "are you sure you don't want to put something in the overhead bin?" The TSA reacted similarly. One lady even pulled her coworker over to "check out what's going through X-Ray"; got a big smile at that one.

How do you transport? We're flying small aircraft, usually so not much storage except overhead and under seat. The Westget rep I talked to said they don't have additional storage available except for sky-check and I wasn't going to trust my small case to the sky check crew.

I'm hoping I can transport the dolphin back in my luggage somehow or fit it in my backpack/duffel I'll be using for carry-on.
Failing that I'll ask the in-laws to bring it back with them from Fla. They're driving.

I'll take pics when I get it!

I walk right into the aircraft carrying my uke in a hardcase. I have never had any problem just putting it in the overhead, but that has been on full size planes. As a last resort you can store it under your seat. A hardcase is essential for traveling with a uke.

Tell them it is a priceless Stratavarius violin ;) Everyone always asks me if I play violin when they see the case anyways, lol.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave and Derby.

I feel safer not bringing it at all, at least not the Concert. I'd hate to have that one guy tell me I can't. I do have a hard case, I'd bought it for the trip. I'll get one for the soprano. It'll probably cost more than the uke! The uke will likely fit in my carry-on anyways so I'm not too worried.

I walk right into the aircraft carrying my uke in a hardcase. I have never had any problem just putting it in the overhead, but that has been on full size planes. As a last resort you can store it under your seat. A hardcase is essential for traveling with a uke.

Tell them it is a priceless Stratavarius violin ;) Everyone always asks me if I play violin when they see the case anyways, lol.

I was walking through a hotel with my uke and someone asked me if I played violin. I told them I was there for an NRA meeting. Probably not good for an airport though.

Thanks Dave and Derby.

I feel safer not bringing it at all, at least not the Concert. I'd hate to have that one guy tell me I can't. I do have a hard case, I'd bought it for the trip. I'll get one for the soprano. It'll probably cost more than the uke! The uke will likely fit in my carry-on anyways so I'm not too worried.

It's always that one guy, isn't it? I hate that guy.

I was walking through a hotel with my uke and someone asked me if I played violin. I told them I was there for an NRA meeting. Probably not good for an airport though.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Good one.......and a pair of cement shoes to go with the Tommy gun.

Sounds like you arrived at a great solution! I bought a Dolphin for a 3 year old niece and was pleasantly surprised at how playable it was. If I didn't already have a travel-uke solution, a Dolphin wouldn't be a bad choice. Enjoy your vacation and your new uke!

I just flew American a month ago and some guy got on with a guitar in a case...

BTW, how do you get it home?

American rules ae different as they are governed by the FDA, even for instruments. They can't stop you from bringing one on apparently.
Canadian rules are by the airline and even then, they can change at the gate at the whim of the attendants. It's really quite frustrating.

I'm hoping that it will fit in my carry on being only 20 inches long. If not, I'll leave it with my in-laws to bring back when they drive home.

I fly West jet all the time and I take my tenor on in a Oahu hard case. It has never been an issue. I took it to airport when I first started traveling with my tenor and the West a Jet people were great. They did say a crew member could say no as it just a bit bigger than the limit but ithey NEVER have. I also printed their policy on musical instruments and keep that in my tenor case for back up. Twice now down to Mexico with my Pono and no issues.

This year we had to flat Air Canada. A smaller prop plane from Kelowna to Vancouver and no issue at all. Coming home on the big jet to Vancouver......again no issue. When Air Canada made us miss our connecting flight from Vancouver to Kelowna, we flew West Jet and they never said a word

I have been looking at Tiny Tenor because I want one and it a bit smaller but not cause anyone is hassling me. I would take a chance and take. Worst they could do is put it in valet service. By the way, I always detune two steps on strings when traveling.

Hope this helps. If not, buy a Uke at you destination.
Cheers

Top Bottom