Thomastik classical guitar flatwound strings

bratsche

Reaction score
For those who use one or more of these Thomastiks as bass strings on your uke, what do you do with the double loop end? Should the straight end be fed all the way through the bridge hole, south to north, and then fed through the loop? The nylon fiber looped part is significantly smaller in diameter than the wire looped part, so it looks like that would just shred away under tension (or perhaps it would stretch?) And there's no knot forming the loop (like many violin family strings have), but just a couple inches of silk winding right up to it, so it looks like it would be too fragile to hold by simply leaving it at the bridge's back end (like on a violin tailpiece). Or do you do something else, like cutting the loop off and knotting the straight end in the typical bridge knot fashion? I looked all over the web, and am unable to find what they do with these on classical guitars.

I was expecting these strings to be straight and simple, like the other classical guitar strings I put on my baritone uke. (But I should have figured, knowing Thomastik... lol)

bratsche

Don't know if this is the right way to do it, but it's how I do it, and it works for me.

ti.jpg

I just cut off the windings on both ends with nail clippers then carry one as usual. I've never had one unravel on me yet. This is what Chuck Moore of Moore Bettah Ukuleles does.......he uses these Thomastiks only now as his wound strings

Okay, thanks - the input is appreciated! I use Thomastik flatwound steel strings on my mandolas and mandolin. They can unravel, though it's not likely, so just as a precaution I've been putting a little bit of superglue on the ends at the headstock after I clip them. I've just never tried flatwound nylon strings before, and was concerned about knotting them, given the presence of these odd loops.. But I see it works and looks just fine knotted, so that's how I'll do it ;)

bratsche

I like the super glue idea. I've had the cut end snag, and start to unwind. I'll have to give the superglue method a try. The TI's can pull and unwind fairly easily especially if you don't use something very sharp to cut them

I just cut off the windings on both ends with nail clippers then carry one as usual. I've never had one unravel on me yet. This is what Chuck Moore of Moore Bettah Ukuleles does.......he uses these Thomastiks only now as his wound strings

this is what I do too.....no need to think too much on this....:)

Charlie Fukuba, maker of I'iwi ukuleles, gave a hint to not cut off the red wrappings until after stringing the ukulele.

Interesting...I cut off the end on my D and it did start to unravel a bit, but it's holding fine and staying with its tail neatly tucked under adjacent tail when I put on the G I left on the wrapping cuz the first one unraveling worried me a bit. Everything it holding good but next time, I'll cut them and try the super glue. I don't like the look of leaving the wrapping on.

The TI's can pull and unwind fairly easily especially if you don't use something very sharp to cut them

I agree with this. You need to make sure you get a very clean cut with all wound strings.

I agree with this. You need to make sure you get a very clean cut with all wound strings.

Chuck Moore had given me the tip of using nail clippers. Get a good quality new pair and nothing else comes close to how well these work. Even good ones cost less than $5.00.

Top Bottom