Ohana TK-35G vs TK-38

Ukecaster

Reaction score
New uker here, having inherited an old Kamaka S that I fixed up. Played guitar for many years, with fat fingers, so will probably want a tenor size eventually, and wanted to know your opinions between the Ohana TK-35G (gloss) and their Martin style TK-38. Both all solid mahogany, but I've heard that the TK-38 might have slightly higher grade woods, and may be built a bit lighter. They seem similarly priced. Opinions/comparisons on these 2?

Kamaka1a.jpg

I can't compare the two you mention but I have the TK35-CG and like it very much. I also have the TK42 and think that Ohana make really nice Tenors. The two mentioned above plus a Deering banjolele and a Risa LP are the only ukes I play. No interest in anything else.

I believe they are pretty comparable. The big thing is the look you like.
The TK35 is a fine ukulele for all levels of player. To be honest it all the uke you will ever need,, but not likely to be the only one own.
It seems we can never have enough.

I have no experience with either instrument, but I do wish to chime in. Feel free to ignore me. :eek:

There is no reason you have to play a tenor. Many people with "fat fingers" can play a soprano ukulele very well. Some sopranos have a bit more space between the frets and can be easier to play for someone with "plump digits"; the Flea soprano would be an example, as would any long neck soprano such the Kala SLNG. Play tenor if it is what you desire but don't discount the smaller ukes. I come from a guitar background as well and I prefer the soprano and concert because they are farther removed in both size and tone from a guitar. I love the comfort factor of a small ukulele when it comes to just relaxing in the easy chair and plucking or strumming away. Your mileage may vary.

David

I have no experience with either instrument, but I do wish to chime in. Feel free to ignore me. :eek:

There is no reason you have to play a tenor. Many people with "fat fingers" can play a soprano ukulele very well. Some sopranos have a bit more space between the frets and can be easier to play for someone with "plump digits"; the Flea soprano would be an example, as would any long neck soprano such the Kala SLNG. Play tenor if it is what you desire but don't discount the smaller ukes. I come from a guitar background as well and I prefer the soprano and concert because they are farther removed in both size and tone from a guitar. I love the comfort factor of a small ukulele when it comes to just relaxing in the easy chair and plucking or strumming away. Your mileage may vary.

David
Yes, more off topic, but I Challenge anyone to play soprano exclusively for two weeks. You will go through many stages of what the? but it's very interesting to see how you feel when the two weeks are done.

I came from decades of guitar and electric and upright bass. For some reason, soprano ukes (and to a lesser extent, concert scale) are far more comfortable to me than tenors and baritones.

Might be due to my hands hurting. Seems counterintuitive.

I also like the precision required on smaller ukes, but everyone is different and it's all good.

Top Bottom