Irish Music Help

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
I just got out of the Hospital with 4 neck verts fused last Wed. Decided I will feel good enough to do a St P gig on March 17, plus got time on my hands to learn songs (also gives me something to work towards). The folks asked for upbeat Irish music, (at least they didn't ask for no-alcohol references :).... I am Italian and play tin pan alley, old standards, blues, Hawaiian, folk, country and cowboy swing. Help!!!

All I can think of is "Whiskey in the Jar" and "All for Me Grog". Anyone know of any other Irish songs????? The Galaway Girl, The Rover? What do folks play for St Paddys day???

Just need a handful. Any help is appreciated!!

A lot of Irish ended up in Liverpool (it's just over the water) ... "The Leaving of Liverpool" is often heard with an Irish accent.

"Cockles and Mussels" ... In Dublin's fair city...

Check out The Chieftains albums ... look for song titles you recognise!

Good luck with the gig :music:

Any Pogues, any Dubliners, any Fureys. I think the banjo uke lends itself well to Irish music as well if you can get your hands on one.

I see you are in coastal SC. I used to have lots of success with......Black Velvet Band. If you have a black haired damsel that can step up to the microphone for a chorus it always goes over well. Also perhaps the rebel song offering........The wind that shakes the corn. Gosh now you have me thinking. Thanks for the thread.

Play "The Parting Glass" near the end of your set. Leave no dry eye in the house!

There are two pdfs of Irish Music on the Ukulele Tabs and Chords forum. They are all tabs for a high-G instrument and a couple are beginners level tunes.

-- Gary

I second listening to The Chieftains..."Long black Veil" is a great album and a great song done with Mick Jagger. Van Morrison also does some great Irish songs too.

Last edited:
I found a song called "Agricultural Irish Girl" from ~1895. Search for it on Yahoo and get the latest versions. Really fun song to play and isn't over worked.

Reiterating some of what others have mentioned:

Leaving of Liverpool
The Moonshiner
The Galway Girl - Steve Earle
The Irish Rover
Dirty Old Town
Never Mind the Strangers - The Saw Doctors
Galway City
Mairi's Wedding
The Wild Rover
Black Velvet Band
Molly Malone
Brennan on the Moor
If I should Fall From Grace With God - The Pogues
I'll Tell Me Ma
Muisheen Durkin
Star of the County Down
The Minstrel Boy
The Rare Oul' Times
The Rising of the Moon
The Whistling Gypsy Rover
Wild Colonial Boy
Whiskey You're the Devil

- FiL

My faves are Whisky in the Jar, and Brennan on the Moor.
I got them outta the book "Irish Songs for Ukulele." Sam Ash Music store, it may be cheaper on amazon.

Another good one, written by an English man, Phil Colclough and a great version by a Scotsman, Dick Gaughan , among others, is Song For Ireland. :)

If it's been recorded by the Dubliners, The Chieftans, the Pogues or any other similar Irish Band, it's Irish even if it isn't.

I'd add Fields of Athenry, Blackwaterside and She Moved Through the Fair to Fil's list.

I second listening to The Chieftains..."Long black Veil" is a great album and a great song done with Mick Jagger. Van Morrison also does some great Irish songs too.

Don't forget The Band also did this.
h

Lily of the West, also on the Chieftan's "Long Black Veil" album (sung by Mark Knophler}

Top Bottom