UU forum website issue

etudes

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm experiencing an issue with the site trying to access threads through 'search'. When I type in a search term results come up as usual but when I click on the threads to open them I get a message that says "the page you are trying to access is restricted due to a security rule".. I tried this on two computers and my mobile device and they all had the issue. Anyone else?

I have not seen this. What Operating System are you using for the 2 computers? Then again, it probably doesn't matter since you are also getting this on your mobile device. Something from the server of your Internet Provider Maybe?

Last edited:
Hi Doug,
One is running Windows 10 and the other is a Mac but both on the same Wi-Fi. The mobile device (iPhone) was on 4g when the error occurred. I tried different web browsers as well (on the windows 10 machine). I'm surprised if I'm the only one!

I'm more puzzled now- if I type in 'Kanile'a' into the search I get results but can't open the threads.. If I type in 'Kamaka' I can I get results and those threads open fine.. I'm not making this up! I know it sounds like a conspiracy against Kanile'a..

Now I discovered if I type in Kanilea without the apostrophe I can access search results. With the apostrophe I can't. Go figure.. This it too heady for Friday night browsing. Going to take a walk now. Cheers

Happening to me too, running Chrome on Mac OSX. I'm going to guess that UU has deployed some new spam protection perhaps, and the ' character is making the search break. IIRC something similar happened some years ago after a particularly bad spam attack.

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 7.32.13 PM.jpg

Thanks for letting me know.. This wouldn't have happened to me except I became interested in Kanile'a ukes this week, the only Uke brand with an apostrophe.

Warning - tech talk.

The apostrophie is used as a demarkation character in serveral unix type operating systems, which is what this site is likely to be running on, so what you have inadvertently done is to 'break' the search string.
When this happens, you can often 'escape' the troublesome character by using a \ character just before it.

Have you tried contacting the mods? I understand they had issues with their original provider recently.

Warning - tech talk.

The apostrophie is used as a demarkation character in serveral unix type operating systems, which is what this site is likely to be running on, so what you have inadvertently done is to 'break' the search string.
When this happens, you can often 'escape' the troublesome character by using a \ character just before it.

Oddly enough, i tried that and while searching "Kanile\'a" gives the same error, searching "Kanile\a" yields threads containing both "Kanilea" (no 'okina) and "Kanile'a" without causing the error no matter which one I click. So, the OP can try that and find what they are looking for - and it's actually a better search term since both spelling variations will be returned!

Oddly enough, i tried that and while searching "Kanile\'a" gives the same error, searching "Kanile\a" yields threads containing both "Kanilea" (no 'okina) and "Kanile'a" without causing the error no matter which one I click. So, the OP can try that and find what they are looking for - and it's actually a better search term since both spelling variations will be returned!

Good call- that works great! Thanks

Top Bottom