Funny thing about ukes...

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but as a new uker, after playing guitar/singing for decades, I find a whole new musical journey opening up on the uke. Tons of songs I'd never even consider learning on guitar before...now beckon. I mean...here's me, a big 6'2" guy, playing a teenie weenie soprano uke, and crooning a Jason Mraz, or Sam Smith tune? Who'd a thunk it a month ago! ;) Maybe just the newness of the uke, and too much UU and Youtube time, but it should be a fun summer, with a very portable instrument and a gaggle of new songs to play/sing outdoors in my travels! Not totally sure yet, but I have a feeling that friends/family may be more interested in a uke concert...than the usual guitar type this summer. If I start buying Hawaiian shirts, I'll call for help. :)

Last edited:
I want an hawaiian shirt.

Maybe it's just me, but as a new uker, after playing guitar/singing for decades, I find a whole new musical journey opening up on the uke. Tons of songs I'd never even consider learning on guitar before...now beckon. I mean...here's me, a big 6'2" guy, playing a teenie weenie soprano uke, and crooning a Jason Mraz, or Sam Smith tune? Who'd a thunk it a month ago! ;) Maybe just the newness of the uke, and too much UU and Youtube time, but it should be a fun summer, with a very portable instrument and a gaggle of new songs to play/sing outdoors in my travels! Not totally sure yet, but I have a feeling that friends/family may be more interested in a uke concert...than the usual guitar type this summer. If I start buying Hawaiian shirts, I'll call for help. :)

Testify brother! I'm right there with you. Predominantly a bass player mixed with guitar all my life. Picked up a Uke last year and haven't put it down. It is so much fun!!!!

I was really into fashion many years ago (who knows how much money I wasted on that pursuit I don't even want to think about it) high end sunglasses, sneakers, sport coats, Japanese denim, etc and after I started pursuing musical arts seriously this time, about 5 years ago, I never looked back. Music and playing an instrument to me brings so much joy and I have a drive and passion for it. It brings people together when fashion and clothing really didn't.
These days I just buy whatever I NEED I'm fine with buying clothes from tjmaxx or Macy's whatever is on sale and as long as I look clean and presentable. (I'll not wear like a slob, just bc I don't care about fashion anymore, mind you) or whatever my wife brings back for me that she deems necessary for me to wear.

I never was into Tommy Bahama. However after playing guitar and Uke for awhile I have been intrigued by the Hawaiian shirt like I never have before.

I bought my first Tommy bahama shirt (on sale of course) last month and looks nice w a slim pair of jeans.

I like Hawaiian shirts now go figure!

Jamaica Jaxx at Costco, FTW.

Also a new Reyn Spooner or Kohala shirt every time I go to Hawaii. But I don't let the shirt cut into the Mai Tai budget.

Musically, I didn't play an instrument before picking up the ukulele 5 years ago. I'm still stunned, in a good way, that I can make music. God bless the uke.

Start attending uke festivals and watch your shirt collection grow~

You guys gotta get hats too. Peruse village hat store website I have tons of them. They look good on when playing uke

T-shirts.........I can't tell you how many ukulele themed t-shirts I have. People read them and usually get a kick out of the message.

20170304_211013_001.jpg

I have 2 Hawaiian shirts, I really like them, but I'm not buying anymore.
I don't have HSAS.

You guys gotta get hats too. Peruse village hat store website I have tons of them. They look good on when playing uke

I've often thought, for uke performance, should I ever do it, a bit of "persona" with a vintage styled hat, etc., would look sharp.

I was just tonight attempting to relate to my good friends how the ukulele has opened up an entirely new musical path for me. It is difficult to put it into words but the following sentence may summarize it best. I played guitar for many years but I was never able to make music until I learned to play the ukulele.

David

I had the shirts before I had the Ukulele. My preferred are my genuine Hilo Hatty silk shirts I bought in Hilo at Hatty's store. Silk is much preferred in the tropics. Much like Koa or cedar.

Personally, I'm more a jeans & T-shirt guy - but then my ukes are showing another side of me, as I seem to be acquiring the less than usual types.

By that I mean they aren't all the normal sizes/shapes of ukes - e.g. I have 3 long neck ukes, a RISA 'stick' electric, & a Uke Ellie in my collection.

There's just something about them that attracts me to them. :)

I worked for Citi group for a while and they have a semi-formal dress code, collared shirt, trousers (no jeans) not hard to understand. While doing a presentation for new employees I got tired of the stupid questions regarding shirts and trousers, and threw out the comment this Friday was Hawaiian Shirt day, it was a complete fabrication but a considerable number of people including my line-manager turned up in the middle of winter in full tourist dress. Now how to explain......

One of my pals quickly covered for me saying it was for Irish Cancer Support and charged them €5 each, result!

Top Bottom