Amoeba Ukuleles (from Bonanza)

UkeStuff

Reaction score
At the Winter Bluegrass Weekend here in Minnesota, Pete and Shelly Mai were vendors with their company, Bonanza Ukulele. They had a number of their new amoeba shaped ukuleles on hand...they are able to do laminate, wood, mix of woods, or a mix of wood and laminate.

I had a chance to play with these ukuleles...they look neat (I am digging the aspen/black walnut combo) but they are incredibly comfortable to hold and play (in finger picking, I find my pinky holds on to the side of the ukulele which becomes a more comfortable place to hold the uke).

The sound is pleasing and warm; fun to play. No--it isn't going to out produce my Sapele Opio Tenor--but these are generally in the sub $300 range for a custom made instrument--you have to love that.

So...if you are interested in a new body shape, check out Bonanza (they have a new website coming soon). Also check out their Facebook page.

P.S. I bought a cool Star Wars strap for my Outdoor Ukulele (I was born in 1972, so Star Wars is part of my childhood).

F40D321D-1F44-411B-98F8-F93F1FE3A995_zpsdcbbint3.jpg

B991EF75-0821-4820-91E6-3CFB867849E0_zpswako02ea.jpg

5D8C0ADC-3E96-4101-A4E0-E508DEA85792_zps5wvogsxj.jpg

Interesting shape. It doesn't really appeal to me, but it's unique.

They make me think of some older Risa ukes. They used to make an acoustic uke with an odd shape. Then they went on to make some electric ukes with similar shapes too. I don't think they make the acoustics anymore, and I'm not sure about the electrics.

Bonanza ukes (other than the ones here) have gotten my attention. I wouldn't rule out a purchase at some point.

As for the strap: Cool! Now you can play your OU in a galaxy far, far away if the opportunity arises. :D

I can see where these would be comfortable to play sitting down, but what about when playing standing up? Did you try that and if so what were your impressions? it looks like the new shape has strap buttons on them. I have a Bonanza longneck cherry soprano that I love.

For me, the shape is really comfortable--and would be the same standing, with a strap. I think they put strap buttons on all their ukuleles, at least concert on up, but Pete would have to verify that.

Strap buttons are like side fret markers on a Bonanza. Standard issue.
The Amoebas are just plain comfortable whether sitting or standing.

Very cool looking! I'm a real traditionalist when it comes to instruments for some reason, as far as things I like to own and play personally, but I LOVE seeing innovative designs and fresh, futuristic looks and technology.

;) LOL. At least I could afford the ukuleles.
The Facebook pages says that Bonanza uses Wilsonart HiDef Laminate. The Wilsonart website shows a lot of patterns for the laminate.
Imagine the future posts when Kitchen Furniture companies realise that there is a market for low cost ukuleles made out of the HiDef laminate, instead of bending the material to make futuristic kitchen benches they use the skills to make ukuleles as a side line.
A ukulele made in a kitchen factory and strung with fishing line. Next to your vintage Gibson in the rack. New players posting in amazement that not only are strings made in fishing line factories, but in addition the ukes come out of kitchen factories.
There are kitchen making factories in every city I have visited, maybe Bonanza and WilsonArt could work out a sort of international franchise deal so I could get a uke made at my local kitchen cabinet factory, instead of needing to worry about exchange rates etc, and to create some local jobs?

Bill, sounds like a great idea.
I'm too old for it but maybe a young feller would like to pursue it.
The HPL does serve a great use for an all purpose uke that can withstand the elements and not need to be cased.
And they sound pretty good.

Those look great! I love Pete and Bonanza for pushing the design envelope!

The Peppermint Patty has settled in nicely into my freezing cold, dry-as-a-bone office. Perfect uke for the job! My boss has commented that she likes the "music lessons" she hears coming from my office at lunchtime.

A friend of mine has a guitar shaped like that. Darned if I can think of the name, but it came from Canada. Same company that makes the Merlin dulcimer.

I thought I should mention that I just placed an order for the aspen/black walnut amoeba. I am looking forward to having that on hand...perhaps by the end of April! I will definitely post about it, along with some video.

I thought I should mention that I just placed an order for the aspen/black walnut amoeba. I am looking forward to having that on hand...perhaps by the end of April! I will definitely post about it, along with some video.

Cool! What size? Since size matters is all the rage here nowadays......

Top Bottom