Wound Low G on a Longneck / Super Soprano

Lillymo

Reaction score
I have a Cocobolo Super Soprano on the way. String options were Aquila Nylgut or Worth Brown and I'm not a fan of either. A friend uses clear fluorocarbon on his Cocobolos. They sound great, and I'm a clear fluoro-phant so that's what I'll try first when I swap out the strings.

I recently put a Fremont Soloist Squeakless Wound Low G on my Kanile'a tenor and I was impressed with how balanced it is in combination with clear fluorocarbon C, E & G strings.

I'd love to hear from anybody who has tried a wound low G on a longneck soprano or even a concert.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've used a Fremont Soloist on a concert (Pono MC) with Fremont Blacklines. It was a good combination, pretty well balanced. I never tried the soloist with other strings, though.

Thanks Gary, good to know. I tried Worth Browns on my Pono MC a while back. The low G was so floppy, I quickly replaced it with a clear fluorocarbon Low G. Better, but still a little dull. I'm tempted to try the Soloist on the Pono.

Last edited:
I like polished wound low g on my Clara (it's concert size).

–Lori

I'm not a fan of wound strings, but I did put low G Living Water flourocarbons on my Kala KA-SLNG laminate long neck soprano & it made it sound much better.

I strung my Cocobolo Super Soprano with Oasis UKE-8001 Bright (Low G): clear fluorocarbon plus low G with a Nylon core wrapped with copper/silver wire. This wound G (0.029" - a hair smaller than some others) fit the slot perfectly without having to adjust the nut. I tried the Fremont Soloist; it was a little too thick for this particular ukulele.

The sound is surprisingly balanced between the fluorocarbons and the wound string. The concert scale provides the necessary tension for a crisp tone and I'm enjoying playing a smaller ukulele with a low G. It doesn't have the fullness of a tenor, but I like the sound, feel and playability of this ukulele/string combination.

Thanks to everybody who responded to my post! I'd be interested in hearing from anybody else who has tried a wound low G on a concert or soprano scale ukulele.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of wound strings, but I did put low G Living Water flourocarbons on my Kala KA-SLNG laminate long neck soprano & it made it sound much better.

Those Fremont Squeekless Soloists are coated and likely like no other "wound" string you've tried. I too am a new fan of them.

Just put a Fremont squeak less low G on my Eastman concert. Seems to be well balanced with the Martin strings and is truly squeak less.
No nut or saddle mods required.

I love the Fremont low G, I use it with Worth Browns on my Ko'olau Pineapple Concert and my Pineapple Sunday tenor.
Even had the same setup on my Black Bear Sopronino for about 6 months, but went back to high G on that to have an uke in reentrant.
Ordered a set of Worth Browns with their unwound low G, but was not a fan.

I strung my Cocobolo Super Soprano with Oasis UKE-8001 Bright (Low G): clear fluorocarbon plus low G with a Nylon core wrapped with copper/silver wire. This wound G (0.029" - a hair smaller than some others) fit the slot perfectly without having to adjust the nut. Like the Fremont Soloist Squeakless G on my tenor, the sound is surprisingly balanced between the fluorocarbons and the wound string. The concert scale provides the necessary tension for a crisp tone and I'm enjoying playing a smaller ukulele with a low G. It doesn't have the fullness of a tenor of course, but I like the sound, feel and playability of this ukulele/string combination.

Thanks to everybody who responded to my post! I'd be interested in hearing from anybody else who has tried a wound low G on a long neck soprano.

I did the same thing as you awhile back to my Bonanza long neck cherry soprano, put an Oasis bright low G on it. I'm no string or ukulele expert, but to me it's pretty much perfect. The proper tension and balance with the fluorocarbon strings. I only used the low G so far, the rest of the strings on mine are still the fishing line fluorocarbons Bonanza uses, and they are fine.

Thanks to a tip from Phil here I just the other day put a Fremont squeekless Low G on my newly acquired from him Kala concert resonator, and I must say that's the most amazing string tried I've tried so far. It's like luxurious. lol

Top Bottom