RIP Lyle Ritz

PeteyHoudini

Reaction score
RIP Lyle Ritz!!!

Petey

Aw man...RIP, Mr. Ritz.

RIP...I was browsing my local record store Thursday and found a sealed copy of his 50th state jazz ukulele album! Plan on opening and listening tonight in his memory.

A true pioneer. Sad news indeed. :(

He lives through his music and his books. A great man, a fantastic bass player and a true aficionado and champion of the ukulele when too many thought of it as a kid's toy. Rest In Peace and thank you for so much. We've lost your loving feeling.

Very sad news. Mr. Ritz was a music legend and a great person too, by all accounts.

Sad indeed. I was listening to his live album at McCabe's with Ohta San last week.

Petey, thank you for this thread.
'How About Uke' was the rekkid that first inspired me to play.
It still blows my mind.
A legend in the truest sense of the word.

Petey, thank you for this thread.
'How About Uke' was the rekkid that first inspired me to play.
It still blows my mind.
A legend in the truest sense of the word.

In full admission, I've never actually hear Lyle play jazz uke until now. I've just opened a sealed record from 1959 and popped it on the player...this guy has the smoothest licks and comping I've ever heard.

I was flipping channels on the TV the other night and caught the scene in "The Jerk" where Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters are walking on the beach singing "Tonight You Belong to Me" .... It's actually Lyle Ritz playing the Uke on that song, not Steve Martin.
RIP Lyle!

Sorry to hear the sad news. RIP Lyle!

Lyle was fun to talk with, too. What a wry sense of humor! Here's a pix of him (with me) at the Portland Uke Fest in June 2008 when he played and taught a great workshop. That same festival I had the chance to get to spend some serious time with another ukulele legend who's now gone: John King. No, not name dropping, just recalling some really great players whom I've been extremely lucky to talk story with...
P1010050.jpg

I remember one time he picked me up to go watch Jazz in town and was blasting this album and explaining all the different rhythms. He was good vibes, like every time I got to hang with him. Legendary studio musician and did a lot for the ukulele for sure, but just such a cool guy.

https://youtu.be/Q45PUP4uuys

Top Bottom