Baan Ukulele and a problem with my Thai-made KoAlana

Luke El U

Reaction score
Has anyone been in touch with Baan Ukulele in Thailand recently? I'm in China and will travel to Bangkok soon. I've written an email to Baan, but got no response. I try to get on their website with no luck.

I have a concert KoAlana made in Thailand which has a problem. This particular instrument was a limited edition model which was eventually rebranded into what is now called the KoAloha Opio.

It was debuted after a special concert by Ohta San Sr. and Jr. which I attended in Bangkok. They both signed the KoAlana black label placed inside the uke. Later, I took the uke to another show in Bangkok sponsored by Baan. At that show I had the uke signed by brothers Alan and Paul Okami, as well as Daniel Ho. It was there that Alan Okami told me the model would be rebranded. I had a great time at those concerts and love the instrument, therefore it has a lot of sentimental value for me.

The problem is this: the sound board has warped slightly, putting the bridge on an angle and causing the intonation to be way off. I am unable to compensate the saddle enough to get the intonation back on. The instrument is currently unplayable.

Comments and suggestions please

Drop me a line - have had some correspondence with Peng lately (he mentioned you as well).

Peng works at Ko'aloha in Honolulu...I would just call there or email him there....

Problem solved! I did get in touch with Peng at KoAloha. He told me Paul Okami made some suggestions and that was relayed to the technician at Baan Ukulele in Bangkok where I have been the past two weeks. The technician, nicknamed "Bird" did a splendid job of fashioning a new, wider saddle. Free of charge. The instrument plays beautifully again.

My sincere thanks again to Peng, Paul, Bird, Baan Ukulele, Dirk from Southcoast and Hawaii 50 here on UU. You all are the best!

Bill

Top Bottom