First one uke...then...

I had an agreement with my wife that I couldn't get my second one until I'd had the first one (mahalo soprano) for 3 months. I bought my new concert exactly 3 months to the day. Started dreaming about a tenor on 3 months +1 day.

That being said, I was looking to upgrade from a crappy Mahalo. When your first uke is a Kamaka, an upgrade will be pretty pricey.

I guess it was a couple months from my first to second. Then a couple more for my third, then another month until my fourth this pattern has continued for the last three years. No I don't own 36 ukuleles, I've sold some along the way :p

John, what a nice uke! I doubt if you're going to do better. It's beautiful. Everyone here knows Kamakas are tops!
Congrats!

First one uke, then ten thousand

Bought my first just under four years ago because it looked like my Fender Telecaster guitar just to be a wall hanger. About a week later signed up for a ukulele play along and tested it, too small (soprano), went out that day and bought a tenor. A year later I had gone through sixteen, then culled down to four. Three years later I'm now at seven, but also took up bass uke a couple of years ago and I'm up to fourteen.

Weeks for me.

Got a plastic First Act to start.

I immediately ordered my second one - the Luna -from HMS knowing it would be about a month for delivery.

Later that week, I found a "challenged" Kay soprano at a second hand store and also ordered a vintage camp uke on eBay to tide me over until my "good" uke arrived. Camp uke was only good for the first three frets, which was where I was playing chords as a beginner, so no big deal.

So, 4 in the first month of playing.

Still have the Kay, and it is still "challenged", as well as the camp uke. Both are on the back burner to be fixed down the road. They live in a suitcase for now. I occasionally play the First Act.

The Luna is likely going to be my ukulele choir choice after a string change and strap buttons installed. I have found that a tenor is too unwieldy when sitting elbow to elbow.

Last edited:
I'm new but fully bitten by this bug..I have had a Cordoba cm15 for five months and just could not stand leaving it at home. I picked up a Kala soprano travel uke. The slim one..man does it have great intonation.

I have told myself many, many times that I will not get another until I can play some decent music. I lie to myself alot...lol

About 2 weeks, then a third a week later.

Started with a tenor, found it too much of a stretch, bought a soprano, found it too cramped, so bought a concert, & found it just right for my initial learning phase.

Now I have many more, including electrics & long necks, soprano, concert, tenor, & baritone. :)

If you are a new uker, how long after getting your first did you get your second? I just got my first (an inherited Kamaka gold label soprano) back from repair a week ago, after 40 years in a relative's closet, and am already planning to get another larger uke, either concert or tenor.

View attachment 98335View attachment 98336

Wow. I've never even seen a Kamaka in the wild. That is beautiful. Congrats!

One thing I don't understand though--you've been a member here for over 7 years but just got your first ukulele?

(Apologies if it sounds like I'm grilling you...just curious.)

I got my first uke in April, 2000. I am really not sure how long I went before acquiring my second, but I know that within a year I owned 15. Part of this was due to wanting to try different sizes and types, A/E ukes, finding really good deals and so on.

I've discovered what I enjoy most and have a far more manageable "collection" now.

It's surprising how fast the UAS bug can bite, though. Ukuleles are just so cool!

Even if I went whole hog back into UAS, it would still be so much better than when I collected guitars, basses, amps, effects pedals, etc.

Ha, checked the local CL, saw this for $20.00, with bag & book. Wouldn't they be a lovely pair! The Kamaka might divorce me! Can't see myself with a pink uke :eek: Maybe I should grab it for my daughter, she's 25 and loves music. Or maybe even she would find it barf-worthy? :confused:

View attachment 98340

That's so cool, you inherited a vintage Kamaka!!! Dolphins are sweet little intsruments for the price, grab it and try some Worth browns on it...

I'm new but fully bitten by this bug..I have had a Cordoba cm15 for five months and just could not stand leaving it at home. I picked up a Kala soprano travel uke. The slim one..man does it have great intonation.

I have told myself many, many times that I will not get another until I can play some decent music. I lie to myself alot...lol

Welcome to the family. I like my Cordoba cm 15 concert very much. The workmanship inside and out is superb, and the sound is quite pleasing for an inexpensive instrument. The 5mm fan struts on the sounboard are well done. You will have many hours of pleasure before you will probably be tempted to try a tenor.

I have had a few periods where I bought two or three ukuleles in bursts. Right at the start of my journey I got three within a month, then none for two years. After those two years, I got three in the same year, and five in the following year (six, if i count the Waterman). I also sold quite a few when having too many impacted my enjoyment of them. This year (yesterday) I got Blackbird Farallon, which I'm confident will be the only uke I buy this year. I have six in total now, aiming to end up with two or three, and intending one tenor to go to a friend, but feeling no pressure to do that right away.

You started with a Cadillac. I on the other hand started with a used, rusty Hugo with 4 flat tires (aka a Hilo soprano).
I needed an immediate upgrade. I think it took me two weeks before I bought my second uke.
There weren't many quality ukuleles readily available back then.

I bought my first and I told myself that I would not buy another until I played it for a year and was still interested in it. I did that. I ordered my second one a year after that. I've had that one for two years this April and I have not bought another. I have won two Waterman ukuleles in raffles however.

Last edited:
I'm on my way back to one or two now. Anything besides my loprinzi is on sale.

Im just interested in practicing the heck out of one and once I get good enough in a few decades to busk on the weekends to make enough money to get a kamaka then so be it

I'm back to HAS (hat acquisition syndrome) again, *sigh :(

Top Bottom