PDA

View Full Version : First one uke...then...

Ukecaster
03-06-2017, 12:56 PM
If you are a new uker, how long after getting your first did you get your second? I just got my first (an inherited Kamaka gold label soprano) back from repair a week ago, after 40 years in a relative's closet, and am already planning to get another larger uke, either concert or tenor.

Gammo
03-06-2017, 01:10 PM
I had an agreement with my wife that I couldn't get my second one until I'd had the first one (mahalo soprano) for 3 months. I bought my new concert exactly 3 months to the day. Started dreaming about a tenor on 3 months +1 day.

Gammo
03-06-2017, 01:54 PM
That being said, I was looking to upgrade from a crappy Mahalo. When your first uke is a Kamaka, an upgrade will be pretty pricey.

DownUpDave
03-06-2017, 03:00 PM
I guess it was a couple months from my first to second. Then a couple more for my third, then another month until my fourth this pattern has continued for the last three years. No I don't own 36 ukuleles, I've sold some along the way :p

Nickie
03-06-2017, 03:15 PM
John, what a nice uke! I doubt if you're going to do better. It's beautiful. Everyone here knows Kamakas are tops!
Congrats!

Ukecaster
03-06-2017, 04:24 PM
For sure, it won't be an upgrade, I won't be doing better...just bigger, for a bit more comfort and variety. More likely just adding a mid-level concert or tenor. No shortage of decent candidates there...seems like the golden age of ukes, so many excellent choices!

Debussychopin
03-06-2017, 04:30 PM
First one uke, then ten thousand

TCK
03-06-2017, 04:34 PM
20 years. Now I have at least 25 of them

Gammo
03-06-2017, 04:41 PM
This could be a new thread on who had the best first uke. Tough to beat a Kamaka.

Ukecaster
03-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Ha, checked the local CL, saw this for $20.00, with bag & book. Wouldn't they be a lovely pair! The Kamaka might divorce me! Can't see myself with a pink uke :eek: Maybe I should grab it for my daughter, she's 25 and loves music. Or maybe even she would find it barf-worthy? :confused:

kohanmike
03-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Bought my first just under four years ago because it looked like my Fender Telecaster guitar just to be a wall hanger. About a week later signed up for a ukulele play along and tested it, too small (soprano), went out that day and bought a tenor. A year later I had gone through sixteen, then culled down to four. Three years later I'm now at seven, but also took up bass uke a couple of years ago and I'm up to fourteen.

actadh
03-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Weeks for me.

Got a plastic First Act to start.

I immediately ordered my second one - the Luna -from HMS knowing it would be about a month for delivery.

Later that week, I found a "challenged" Kay soprano at a second hand store and also ordered a vintage camp uke on eBay to tide me over until my "good" uke arrived. Camp uke was only good for the first three frets, which was where I was playing chords as a beginner, so no big deal.

So, 4 in the first month of playing.

Still have the Kay, and it is still "challenged", as well as the camp uke. Both are on the back burner to be fixed down the road. They live in a suitcase for now. I occasionally play the First Act.

The Luna is likely going to be my ukulele choir choice after a string change and strap buttons installed. I have found that a tenor is too unwieldy when sitting elbow to elbow.

Komichido
03-06-2017, 06:47 PM
I'm new but fully bitten by this bug..I have had a Cordoba cm15 for five months and just could not stand leaving it at home. I picked up a Kala soprano travel uke. The slim one..man does it have great intonation.

I have told myself many, many times that I will not get another until I can play some decent music. I lie to myself alot...lol

Croaky Keith
03-06-2017, 10:32 PM
About 2 weeks, then a third a week later.

Started with a tenor, found it too much of a stretch, bought a soprano, found it too cramped, so bought a concert, & found it just right for my initial learning phase.

Now I have many more, including electrics & long necks, soprano, concert, tenor, & baritone. :)

kvehe
03-06-2017, 11:39 PM
It was two days for me.

Griffis
03-07-2017, 02:50 AM
If you are a new uker, how long after getting your first did you get your second? I just got my first (an inherited Kamaka gold label soprano) back from repair a week ago, after 40 years in a relative's closet, and am already planning to get another larger uke, either concert or tenor.

Wow. I've never even seen a Kamaka in the wild. That is beautiful. Congrats!

One thing I don't understand though--you've been a member here for over 7 years but just got your first ukulele?

(Apologies if it sounds like I'm grilling you...just curious.)

I got my first uke in April, 2000. I am really not sure how long I went before acquiring my second, but I know that within a year I owned 15. Part of this was due to wanting to try different sizes and types, A/E ukes, finding really good deals and so on.

I've discovered what I enjoy most and have a far more manageable "collection" now.

It's surprising how fast the UAS bug can bite, though. Ukuleles are just so cool!

Even if I went whole hog back into UAS, it would still be so much better than when I collected guitars, basses, amps, effects pedals, etc.

UkerDanno
03-07-2017, 03:01 AM
Ha, checked the local CL, saw this for $20.00, with bag & book. Wouldn't they be a lovely pair! The Kamaka might divorce me! Can't see myself with a pink uke :eek: Maybe I should grab it for my daughter, she's 25 and loves music. Or maybe even she would find it barf-worthy? :confused:

That's so cool, you inherited a vintage Kamaka!!! Dolphins are sweet little intsruments for the price, grab it and try some Worth browns on it...

1931jim
03-07-2017, 04:06 AM
I'm new but fully bitten by this bug..I have had a Cordoba cm15 for five months and just could not stand leaving it at home. I picked up a Kala soprano travel uke. The slim one..man does it have great intonation.

I have told myself many, many times that I will not get another until I can play some decent music. I lie to myself alot...lol

Welcome to the family. I like my Cordoba cm 15 concert very much. The workmanship inside and out is superb, and the sound is quite pleasing for an inexpensive instrument. The 5mm fan struts on the sounboard are well done. You will have many hours of pleasure before you will probably be tempted to try a tenor.

Mivo
03-07-2017, 06:30 AM
I have had a few periods where I bought two or three ukuleles in bursts. Right at the start of my journey I got three within a month, then none for two years. After those two years, I got three in the same year, and five in the following year (six, if i count the Waterman). I also sold quite a few when having too many impacted my enjoyment of them. This year (yesterday) I got Blackbird Farallon, which I'm confident will be the only uke I buy this year. I have six in total now, aiming to end up with two or three, and intending one tenor to go to a friend, but feeling no pressure to do that right away.

Rob Uker
03-09-2017, 09:00 AM
You started with a Cadillac. I on the other hand started with a used, rusty Hugo with 4 flat tires (aka a Hilo soprano).
I needed an immediate upgrade. I think it took me two weeks before I bought my second uke.
There weren't many quality ukuleles readily available back then.

Ukecaster
03-09-2017, 10:22 AM
One thing I don't understand though--you've been a member here for over 7 years but just got your first ukulele?

(Apologies if it sounds like I'm grilling you...just curious.)

Yeah, I assume I joined way back then around the time I got the Kamaka from my relative. Despite the cracks, I played it for a short time, until the bridge fell off. I think it was trying to tell me something! Anyhoo, life intervened, and I didn't get around to repairs until just recently, and I'm glad I did. I just don't know how it could have dried out so much in the beautiful original gig bag. ;) I have a nice HSC for it now. At least it lived all those decades in her closet, and not in an attic or moldy basement.

Despite the size/scale issues I have with it, it's a loud little thing, with a very woody tone. I played it against a new Ohana TK-35, and the Kamaka sop seemed louder, although the Ohana was brand new, and likely not opened up yet. The only issue now with the Kamaka is a bit of fret sprout on the edges, nothing painful, but occasionally noticeable. Will try a few rounds of in-the-case humidification, and see if that fixes it, before seeking some fret edge filing. I haven't played a concert size uke yet, but would like to, and also a long neck soprano.

Rllink
03-09-2017, 10:41 AM
I bought my first and I told myself that I would not buy another until I played it for a year and was still interested in it. I did that. I ordered my second one a year after that. I've had that one for two years this April and I have not bought another. I have won two Waterman ukuleles in raffles however.

Debussychopin
03-09-2017, 12:51 PM
I'm on my way back to one or two now. Anything besides my loprinzi is on sale.

Im just interested in practicing the heck out of one and once I get good enough in a few decades to busk on the weekends to make enough money to get a kamaka then so be it

I'm back to HAS (hat acquisition syndrome) again, *sigh :(

Ukecaster
03-09-2017, 02:44 PM
HAS? After watching all the cool uke players on UkeTube, I have a bad case of FAS (Fingernail Acquisition Syndrome). They seem rather indispensable for uke. Can't see myself at a nail salon getting fakes, but fleshy fingertips jusr don't cut it for me on uke, and can't deal with fingerpicks. Many vids I watch, it looks like the player is holding a flatpick, but it's just their pointer, cranking out big volume and tone. Yep, FAS.

Debussychopin
03-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Yes HAS lol I'm trying to sell off a few ukes and a guitar so I can get a nice borsalino hat.

Croaky Keith
03-10-2017, 12:56 AM
HAS - that's Harp Aquisition Syndrome!

(I know - 'cause I have a mild case of it! ;) )

Southern Marylander
03-10-2017, 03:59 AM
HAS? After watching all the cool uke players on UkeTube, I have a bad case of FAS (Fingernail Acquisition Syndrome). They seem rather indispensable for uke. Can't see myself at a nail salon getting fakes, but fleshy fingertips jusr don't cut it for me on uke, and can't deal with fingerpicks. Many vids I watch, it looks like the player is holding a flatpick, but it's just their pointer, cranking out big volume and tone. Yep, FAS.

Yeah, I haven't been able to play for a week because of my fingernails. I'm a stress-biter and last weekend I destroyed the nails on my strumming hand. I'm waiting for them to grow back to the point that (1) they don't hurt like hell and (2) I can play again.

Nickie
03-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I haven't been able to play for a week because of my fingernails. I'm a stress-biter and last weekend I destroyed the nails on my strumming hand. I'm waiting for them to grow back to the point that (1) they don't hurt like hell and (2) I can play again.

Maybe.....If you'll pick up a uke instead, ech time you wanna bite a nail, some of the stress will abate....just maybe

Mivo
03-10-2017, 05:42 PM

Flat picks are an option! I quite like the .38mm ones with sopranos, but it's a different style of playing.

I luckily have good nails and don't mind having them. They don't need to be super long to get a good tone. Using a nail brush daily seems to increase their strength, as do those polishing blocks and taking fish oil pills (and using hand lotion because the combination of warm water and soap weaken the nails - the oil gets sucked out).

Cassie
03-11-2017, 11:51 AM
It's been almost a year and I still haven't gotten the second one. Little Kalea, my little Kala soprano is my savior from UAS. She always will be. Yes, I have nicknamed her.