Ventures/ Ramones Tribute Ukulele

Rob Uker

Reaction score
Ventures Ramones Mosrite.jpg

Several years ago I saw these great videos made by two Scotsman named Gus and Finn on Youtube. They were doing awesome ukulele versions of Ramones songs on ukulele. I grew up in the NYC area in the 70's so I'm a big Ramones fan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNFpOh2seqo
I'm also I huge Ventures fan. I found some really good Ventures tabs on Uke Hunt.
So, what's the connection between The Ventures and The Ramones?
It's the Mosrite guitar.
The Mosrite has been the source of inspiration for my next ukulele build. I'm in the process of building a concert ukulele version of the Mosrite guitar which was custom designed specifically for The Ventures and later became Johnny Ramone's go to guitar.
Check out my progress on my facebook page.
You don't have to be a facebook member to view my public page.

https://www.facebook.com/RIGuitars/

Rob, your work (art) is awesome, but you outdid yourself here.

Always loved Mosrites (though the closest I ever got to owning one was an old "Elekta" brand copy many years ago)--I am also a huge fan of The Ventures and Ramones (and Davie Allan The King of Fuzz who played a doubleneck Mosrite early on with his band The Arrows.)

Just love it.

Bit of trivia: this may be apocryphal, but I read once that the folks who designed that classic Mosrite model flipped a Fender Strat over and trraced it out backwards, adding a bit of horn to the lower bout and voila!

I can see that.
One of the things that I always thought was cool looking about the Mosrite is that the neck is a little bit cocked.
It always looked to me like Johnny was bending the neck upward a little bit.
It gave it a quirky cartoonish look.
I love old weird guitars Danelectro, Del Rey, Tiesco...
I'll never copy a Les Paul or anything ending in caster (although I love them too).Johnny_Ramone_1983_c.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3675.jpg
Here's the finished ukulele .
On the left is a Mosrite Guitar, on the right my concert ukulele version.
It sounds nice.

Looks great, Rob. The first time I ever heard of a Mosrite guitar was when it was listed as the instrument of the legendary Fred 'Sonic' Smith of the MC5!

I love building ukulele versions of obscure guitars and or one of a kind custom instruments.
Not many entertainers used Mosrite but I love the players that did.

Top Bottom