Plastic tuner collars on Makala--buzz source?

jackj

Reaction score
Hello! First post here as someone who just bought a Makala MK Concert uke yesterday from a local music store.

Having some acoustic guitar experience, I picked out one where the setup was decent. But after I got it home, I'm noticing a buzz that I'm pretty sure is coming from the plastic disc around the C string tuner. Each of the tuners has this little plastic collar that floats on the shaft between the string and the peghead, and they're all loose enough to slide up and down when I flip the instrument over.

Can't see how these collars serve any purpose. Am I missing something? To take them off I'll have to remove the strings, or maybe I could cut them off with some side-cut pliers. But before I go modifying my brand new (cheap, but otherwise satisfactory) instrument, I want to know if anyone else has experienced this, and what they've done about it.

Thanks!

Jack

Not sure what you mean . a picture would help. Sounds like those "collars" shouldnt be there .

I have an old baritone with plastic collars, mine buzzed so I pulled themselves off. Only function I could see was to keep the strings from scratching the wood on the head if they rode down too far.

Usually the string wraps hold the collars tight.
Make sure your sting is coming from the bottom of the post.
They are purely cosmetic, if you remove them you might see space around the post.
You could also try a SPOT of Elmer's glue, not a permanent glue in case you want to remove them.

I think you mean the bushings. Yea, I have a cheap Excel, and they buzz on mine from time to time. I probably should take mine off next string change.

Thanks for the help! It'd take a lot of string wraps for the string to get from the hole in the peg all the way down to the collar, so I think I will just remove them. Might wait until the first string change, though. I'm completely new to nylon strings--have to research my options there. Pics below.

IMG_4007[1].jpgIMG_4008[1].jpg

Not sure why my photos aren't showing up without clicking on the file name, but if you can see the second one, it looks like the holes in the peghead aren't exactly precisely drilled. Looks like the purpose of the collars/bushings/washers might be to hide the imperfections. I'm far more concerned with the sound than the looks, though, so they will come off. Thanks again!

Thanks for the help! It'd take a lot of string wraps for the string to get from the hole in the peg all the way down to the collar, so I think I will just remove them. Might wait until the first string change, though. I'm completely new to nylon strings--have to research my options there. Pics below.

View attachment 98350View attachment 98351

Yes use pliers carefully to snip them out a little piece at a time. It won't pull open w one snip in the collar bc the plastic is really stiff.
I had a makala once and I did remove them immediately and it removed the buzzy noise and looks much better and cleaner.

I've had those on a few ukes. They are about as useful as a football bat.

Just a bit of superglue under the flange will take care of that. Not so much that you will never get them off, just a drop on the end of a toothpick.

In 40 years time (2057) the Makalas that still have the plastic washers will be worth a lot more than those where the washers have been lost.

Good point! Alas, I've already compromised the resale value by removing the "Made in China" sticker. Add it to the many ways I will disappoint my heirs.

Good point! Alas, I've already compromised the resale value by removing the "Made in China" sticker. Add it to the many ways I will disappoint my heirs.

:biglaugh:

Go ahead, disappoint 'em! I'm disappointing mine by spending their inheritance on ukes!

Incidentally, I put Martin 600s on my Malala MK-CE, and have been pleased. If you want to try fluorocarbon without a huge investment--that is a good way to go. If you like them, you can decide if you want to pursue other brands of flurocarbon.

A coworker went back to China to visit family. I asked him to bring me back something that was made in China as a gift. He looked at me like I was nuts.

Incidentally, I put Martin 600s on my Malala MK-CE, and have been pleased. If you want to try fluorocarbon without a huge investment--that is a good way to go. If you like them, you can decide if you want to pursue other brands of flurocarbon.

I very much like the Martins. Still trying to decide if I prefer flouros or nylon. I like the thickness of nylons. It's odd, in decades of playing stringed instruments I am well aware that different strings can have a marked effect on tone/ overall sound, but I never developed any hardfast preferences. I'm more of a "what's a good deal? Okay, I'll throw them on there" kinda guy.

My daughter's first uke was the same, a Makala concert with those white plastic bushings at the base of the tuning pegs. One of those loosened up and buzzed. I wouldn't do this on an expensive instrument, but a very small drop of Elmer's Glue fixed it.

All buzzes are annoying to figure out, but it's a relief to discover the fix is that easy.

Hi -

New old guy here in Davis, CA. Just joined this group. What a wonderful resource. A month ago, I bought a used/mint Makala Dolphin to start with. Took a week for the Aquila strings to settle down and hold tune. Sunday I noticed a buzz on the E string. Drove me nuts. Thought it might be the paper label inside. Nope. Discovered the plastic collars on the tuning pegs were loose as others have mentioned. A smidge of beeswax softened with mineral oil on the shafts above the collars secures the collars and eliminated the buzzing. No harm to the strings and no chance of rust on the tuning shafts. Cheap, simple, effective fix. Rick

Top Bottom