Issue swapping tuners

deschutestrout

Reaction score
I am swapping tuners to Gotoh Planetary. The "insert" from the original tuners are in so tight that I can't simply tap them out without fearing damage. Any trick I'm not thinking of here? Thanks

Posting a picture of the problem might help ... in the mean time, maybe you can arrange a nut and bolt, of suitable length, with washers/spacers of appropriate diameters and rig up a puller. This will/should ease the offending item out with little or no stress or effort.

Good luck :)

Your puller idea was a good one, but the bushings did not budge. I may give up on the swap on this uke and do it on another. Afraid if I finally do get them to move they will take wood and finish with them. Thanks!

I usually just carefully tap them out from the back rather than trying to pry them up from the top. Ideally, you find something just big enough to contact the metal on the edges of the bushings when doing this. I mostly like to use a reamer or some sort of dowel as my tapping tool that is making contact with the bushing and then hit that carefully with a hammer or rubber mallet. I've never had any damage, but I'm not saying it can't happen. I usually hold my breath. ha.

I usually just carefully tap them out from the back rather than trying to pry them up from the top. Ideally, you find something just big enough to contact the metal on the edges of the bushings when doing this. I mostly like to use a reamer or some sort of dowel as my tapping tool that is making contact with the bushing and then hit that carefully with a hammer or rubber mallet. I've never had any damage, but I'm not saying it can't happen. I usually hold my breath. ha.

That was the first thing I tried as it usually works. Gave it several pretty solid raps with a mallet and nothing. That's what prompted my original post. Maybe I'll bring it to my luthier and see if he has any tricks

That was the first thing I tried as it usually works. Gave it several pretty solid raps with a mallet and nothing. That's what prompted my original post. Maybe I'll bring it to my luthier and see if he has any tricks

Use a thin, fine tooth jig saw blade inserted through the bushing to saw through the wall of the bushing. This will relieve the pressure between the bushing and the hole in the head stock. (Saw slowly and carefully by hand.)

Your puller idea was a good one, but the bushings did not budge. I may give up on the swap on this uke and do it on another. Afraid if I finally do get them to move they will take wood and finish with them. Thanks!

Wow! what kind of uke is it?

Soak in WD40 and try again....?

SUCCESS! Tried a couple drops of lube and then used a long, tapered tool ... inserted it all the way through until it was snug and then gently rocked back and forth from both front and back until I could see slight movement in the bushing "nut" on top. Gradually, it came out. Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement to continue on!

SUCCESS! Tried a couple drops of lube and then used a long, tapered tool ... inserted it all the way through until it was snug and then gently rocked back and forth from both front and back until I could see slight movement in the bushing "nut" on top. Gradually, it came out. Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement to continue on!

Congrats! You're going to love those Gotoh planetary tuners.

Top Bottom