FS Collings UT2M Sunburst Mahogany Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

strumsilly

Reaction score
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpgI've decided to sell this Collings tenor I bought here on UU. I'm offering it for the same smoking deal I got it for. I have 4 other tenors and though this is the best looking and playing uke I own, I don't play it as much as my others. Crazy, but I'm afraid of scratching or otherwise damaging it's almost perfect finish. I'm a hard stummer, and though I put a screen protector on, I still put some strum marks in the upper bout, which you can't see in the pics because you have to hold it to the light just right to even see them. This isn't a new uke, and it isn't mint. I would put it as a vg [very good]. The flaws, besides the strum marks are 2 small areas of finish cracking on the back where the binding meets the wood. You have to look really hard to see them, and I tried to take a pic of them. If they were there when I got it, I didn't notice. I bumped the head going out a door and there is a tiny bit of white paint transfer. There is are 2 strap buttons, one on the heel and one at the but, and there are some faint circular scratches where the strap was rubbing. There is also a 1/2" scratch on the butt. The Collings case is a beaut and fits snug but the uke will fit with the strap button on, but I'll remove it for shipping. I've been around UU for awhile and have bought and sold lots of ukes. I try to overdescribe so there will be no surprises. The tuners were replaced with gold UPTs, which I think are even better than the pegheads . I would have them on all my ukes if they weren't so pricey.
Don't know what else to say, ask if you have any questions. This uke has the haircut headstock, radius fretboard, and the nicest sunburst I've ever seen. It has their awesome doghair on the burst parts, even the neck. The neck, where it meets the head ,is perfect for playing up near the nut. so smooth. If I keep going on I'm going to talk myself into keeping it. Currently strung low G
$1200 cash price. + shipping/insurance. I think this is about 1/2 price of a new one, if you can even find one. This is my rock bottom price and I would prefer a no fee transaction. If you purchase it and are not 100% satisfied, you may return it in the same condition and pay shipping both ways. I'll give you a week to decide.

I can't remember how to post pics from photobucket, I keep gettin invalid file???? here's the album [hopefully} these are from my phone are don't do the uke justice
http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/avm1/library/Collings

Last edited:
Excellent deal for an excellent instrument. Best of luck!

-Steve

oh, and I'd likefirst dibbs if you ever decide to sell it. already getting sellers remorse

Your getting seller remorse........I have been in a state of separation anxiety since the day I sold this to you. If I didn't have two customs on order I might just buy this back from you.

Andy is a great guy to deal with and you will be getting an awesome uke at an unbelievably good price. It does have the prettiest sunburst I have ever seen. The pictures don't do it justice.

I hope you don't mind Andy but here are some photos of it that I saved

20160401_175824.jpg20160401_175758.jpg20160403_081336.jpg20160401_175807.jpg20160401_175841.jpg

Last edited:
haha, I forgot who I bought it from. thanks for the pics
Your getting seller remorse........I have been in a state of separation anxiety since the day I sold this to you. If I didn't have two customs on order I might just buy this back from you.

Andy is a great guy to deal with and you will be getting an awesome uke at an unbelievably good price. It does have the prettiest sunburst I have ever seen. The pictures don't do it justice.

I hope you don't mind Andy but here are some photos of it that I saved

View attachment 98385View attachment 98383View attachment 98384View attachment 98381View attachment 98382

I have played this ... it is very nice. If I didn't have a Kinnard Mahogany Sun Burst, I would snap it up ... and then not worry about a scratch.

To quote Joe Souza: Don't worry about it, just muss it up!

I would prefer not to ship overseas,I just don't want the extra hassle of custom forms/shipping issues. I am offering it here first on UU at this great price as I would like to keep it in the "family"

Last edited:
This deserves to be bumped.

Andy, are you coming to visit this area? I really want to play this one.

Last edited:
I do not have the original peghead tuners . I doubt if they could be changed back [easily] as the UPTs require a pretty big hole. The holes would have to be filled and re-drilled. I like the UPT better anyway. Much smoother. Thinking of replacing the friction on my Martin tenor with them as I like them so much.

I agree with His Coolness ... what makes a Vintage Martin appealing (and retain its value) is its original nature ... unchanged.
What makes it appealing to me is the great build, playability, great sound. I dislike fiddly tuners, and I think those are the worst.Guess what Martin is using on the IZ tenor?, pegheads, not friction. and in my opinion UPTs are better. Besides retaining somewhat the same look, the UPTs are smooth as butter. I guess I'm hijacking my own thread.:confused:;)

Last edited:
What makes it appealing to me is the great build, playability, great sound. I dislike fiddly tuners, and I think those are the worst.Guess what Martin is using on the IZ tenor?, pegheads, not friction. and in my opinion UPTs are better. Besides retaining somewhat the same look, the UPTs are smooth as butter. I guess I'm hijacking my own thread.:confused:;)

I bought this Vintage Martin: https://vimeo.com/208013953#email (just traded it to Andrew) and it already had the Gotoh tuners. I loved it. I figure if you want to buy an instrument to play it, then tweak it to make it enjoyable to play. If you want to leave it in the case and look at it from time to time, then sell it later, maybe it's better not to alter it. I can't stand not being able to quickly tune an instrument, and I won't tolerate an out of tune instrument.

I bought this Vintage Martin: https://vimeo.com/208013953#email (just traded it to Andrew) and it already had the Gotoh tuners. I loved it. I figure if you want to buy an instrument to play it, then tweak it to make it enjoyable to play. If you want to leave it in the case and look at it from time to time, then sell it later, maybe it's better not to alter it. I can't stand not being able to quickly tune an instrument, and I won't tolerate an out of tune instrument.

Or - play the heck of it with the beautiful and fully functional original tuners that were installed by Martin back in their golden ukulele heyday - as I do with both my vintage Martin Tenors! :)

Last edited:
Or - play the heck of it with the beautiful and fully functional original tuners that were installed by Martin back in their golden ukulele heyday - as I do with both my vintage Martin Tenors! :)
I do , but they are barely functional. You can start a fire with flint and steel too, but much easier with a lighter.

I do , but they are barely functional. You can start a fire with flint and steel too, but much easier with a lighter.

I wonder if your tuners are shot? Mine work great. Once the strings stop stretching, I don't have to touch them that often. The screws have to be kept tight - thought I loosen them when changing strings. But I wouldn't characterize the vintage Champion tuners as flint and steel. I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom