Install Wound Nylon Strings? Guadalupe

OhioBelle

Reaction score
Bought a wound nylon set from Guadalupe Custom Strings to audition on my Druid Moon Tenor. Have read about/seen pics of the windings unraveling due to install technique.

Any tips/tricks?

The only tip:
Under no circumstances should you cut these strings. You must use them as they are. You have to leave the bindings on both ends.
I thought I might try using hot-melt glue to create a stop for the unraveling (so I might be able to cut to length). Fortunately, I thought to test on a used string, because even the relatively low heat from the glue caused the winding to melt and break. This resulted in unraveling the entire length of the string.

I read the same warning, but have not experienced any unravelling with my Guadalupe strings. I did trim the excess from both ends.

I have had other brands of wound strings unravel, and took it as a cue that it was time to change the strings.

In the big picture strings are not terribly expensive and are easy to change. They are also fun to experiment with.

Last edited:
I always try to leave them uncut. At the least, I will leave one end uncut, usually at the saddle/bridge, where I can tie it off with minimal excess. The coiled string doesn't bother me anymore on the head stock tuner, and if sized properly there shouldn't be much left to coil anyway. I have used super glue in the past on the cut end. That seemed to work although not always.

Superglue comes in two consistencies. the thick can be used without it running into the spooled string. If you are really apprehensive cut a piece of masking tape ( a long enough piece you can can hold it----maybe three inches long) and wrap between the end sticking out of the spool with a couple wraps on each string. Put the super glue about 1/2' from the tape to the part you want to cut it off. If the string is held upside down (probably by someone else holding the uke) then any run-off or drip will be away from the instrument rather than onto it. Leave about 1/4 to 3/8 inch of the glued end after it dries, and cut off the rest. The unglued part between the spool and the cut-off will allow the end to be flexible. I have one uke with Guadalupe strings, and it really has a different sound from the others. Yes, favorably.

Thanks for the tips, all. Strings installed, so far, so good. I haven't cut anything yet. If I decide to cut, I will definitely try out the superglue. These strings were not very long, so I don't have a lot of excess. I will leave them as is, and see what happens.

Regarding the feel and sound, yes I agree CraftedCow that they are very different! I really like them so far. The Druid Moon has a lovely sound, but I felt it was a bit quiet. I thought the wound strings might wake it up a bit. And they do! :)

Uu's own Kevin reviewed the Guads a while back. I'll put it here for general info.

Let us know your opinion once you get them up and runnng, OB. Thx

Are all four strings wound?

Yes, Mivo, all four are wound with nylon in beautiful multi-colors. They were installed on the baritone I bought from Mainland, so I thought I'd give them a whirl on this tenor.

Thanks for posting that review, kayaker. I'll definitely update as these settle in. They seem to be stretching less than any other strings so far. They lost less than a half step last night. Must be a factor of the nylon windings.

Wanted to add that their website has changed since Kevin's review. If anyone wants to check 'em out, they're at:

http://thegcs.co/ukulele-1/

Last edited:
Top Bottom