Mahogany from the Elm Tree

Timbuck

Reaction score
Yes folks!..it's true you can get Mahogany from the Elm..It arrived two days ago...Actually it's part of the bar from a Pub thats gone out of business "The Elm Tree Inn in Staveley near Chesterfield" The Guy who now owns the place is converting it into a house and he started out by ripping out the bar..He plays one of my Sopranos and he sent me this as a gift.....its part of the hatch 2' x 1' x 2"

Last edited:
Nice! I've been looking at sourcing hog by buying old furniture...is that a good approach you reckon? With my limited tools I'm quite unsure of how I would go about milling it down to useful thicknesses though.

A lot of my mahogany stash is old furniture. I find bed ends are very cheap for the amount of wood you get. They seem to have gone out of fashion and end their days in charity shops.
Giving them a new life as a musical instrument is an honourable undertaking
Miguel

I really love this idea of recycling wood. So many species have become endangered or even gone extinct. It is up to all of us to be good stewards, and preventing waste is the best way. Kudos, guys!

Nice wood score. You might have trouble finishing it....all the booze seeping out of the wood will screw up your shellac.

Top Bottom