String Change for Playing BLues

Franko-NM

Reaction score
For playing blues ukulele do any of you change out the high G string for a low G string? If so can you tell me what gauge or if not does Aquila sell sets with low a low G for tenor ukulele? Thanks for any info.

Lots of us prefer a low G on our ukes, there are quite a few string sets available, I use Living Water concert strings on my tenors as I prefer a lower tension.
You can buy single strings from some manufacturers, so no need to buy a full set to try it out. :)

For playing blues ukulele do any of you change out the high G string for a low G string? If so can you tell me what gauge or if not does Aquila sell sets with low a low G for tenor ukulele? Thanks for any info.

Fremont makes their "Soloist" low G sting, (~$4) which has high marks by a lot of folk. Most all the string makers have Low G sets available. Just be careful that you don't succumb to the dreaded String Acquisition Syndrome! :cool:

Hey Franco! I installed these on one of my tenors a couple of days ago. Guadalupe Customs, which is a set of 4 nylon-wound strings. They sell both high and low G. I think they would be fabulous for blues! A fellow UU'er posted a link to a video review by another UU'er. Give it a listen and see what you think, particularly when Kevin breaks out the slide!

https://youtu.be/D2caWBYqoI0

They're out of California, website here:

http://thegcs.co

There is no law that says you can't play blues with a high G. :shaka:

There is no law that says you can't play blues with a high G. :shaka:

DaddyStovepipe has quite a few blues videos in high-g on YouTube, and his blues books are for high-g, so like Jim says, low-g isn't a requirement.

I did eventually warm up to low-g on the tenor size and love both the Fremont Solist paired with Worth Clears CT, and the Oasis Warm set that I experienced for the first time just a couple days ago. Really liking it. I've had no luck with unwound low-g strings. To me, they sound as dull as they feel floppy, but your mileage may vary. Try everything, see what you like. :)

Top Bottom