Looking for a nice tenor

Faerun

Reaction score
Hey guys. After thinking long and hard about wether to buy a good guitar or invest in a good ukulele, I decided on the Ukulele. I have a cheap soprano at the moment, and I'm having way more fun on it than I ever had on a guitar.

I'm looking to buy a nice tenor ukulele.

I'm doubting between two ukulele's available at MGM:

KALA KA-ASMT-C ELECTRIC TENOR UKULELE

and

Kala thinline travel tenor.

The ASMT-C comes with a pickup and a hardcase for around 249 dollars. The thinline is around 200$.

300$ is my maximum. Do you think any of these are good tenor ukulele's?
I'm leaning towards the ASMT-C, because it has a hardcase and a pickup.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Nick

Kala's a good brand, and the tops are solid on both. You'd be fine with either one. Do you want extra portability and a brighter tone? Go with the Travel tenor. If you want a warmer tone and a hardcase, go with the mahogany.

Brad is mentioning another brand - Mainland. The owner of the company is a regular here at UU, and all reports/reviews have been favorable.

Thanks for the reply!

I found a video of the thinline. Does anybody know if there's a vid on the KA-ASMT-C or a comparable model, so I can see how a "warmer" tone sounds in contrast to the thinline?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot.

Since travelling is not really a necessity for me, I think I'll drop off the thinline, even though it sounds pretty good from what I heard on youtube.
I found another uke on MGM's store which might fit my criteria.

The KALA KA-FMT (spalted maple sides, solid sprucetop).

Which one would you recommend. That one, or the
KA-ASMT-C electric.

The pickup is a nice bonus for the ASMT. I like the look of the KA-FMT a bit better though, no idea why.

I know it's personal preference, but what ukulele would you guys prefer and why. I'm looking to read as much opinions as possible, that's why I ask :)

Cheers and thanks!

Hehe, guess what?
My KALA KA-ASMT-C ELECTRIC TENOR UKULELE (from MGM) just arrived today in the mail.
It's a WONDERFUL ukuele. Sounds very rich and strong, and a very smooth satin finish that looks great. MGM packed it very securely in a big box full of packaging, and the case he includes is very high quality and protective.

The solid mahogany makes the instrument very resonant and deep.
Compared to my friend's laminate Koa Kala Tenor, it has a bolder, darker tone.

Here are some photos I took today. Notice how the colour is much browner than the dark-red colour you see on MGM's stock photos.

n562801923_2306858_2654853.jpg

Alongside my friend's Koa tenor (KA-KT)
n562801923_2306859_7144276.jpg

I'm definitely happy with mine :)

Feel free to ask me any questions about it, and I'll try answer them best based on my one.
I'm a beginner myself, but I think it is very good value for a solid wood instrument.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any means for recording a sample (or just a bad youtube vid) so I can listen to it?

I think I might like the happy bright tone of spruce better, but I'm not sure yet.

Thanks a lot!

I'll see if I can get a sample up tomorrow if I'm not too busy. It's a bit late right now, so it'll annoy my neighbours in the dormitory.

If you were after a bright tone, I would go with the spruce. The solid mahogany has a noticeably darker, mellower tone.
I'll see if I can borrow my friend's Koa Tenor again to give you something to compare it with.

Congratulations, kissing! :D

I just ordered a Kala KA-ASMT from a store in Europe. The non-cutaway version with no pickup. I'll fit a pickup when it arrives.

The colour in your pic looks nicer than the colour in all the promo photos I've seen. How does it sound? Are those Aquila strings? Looks like it.

Any chance of a video? :D

I'm totally impatient for mine!

We'll have to compare notes! :music:

Thank you.
I'm especially excited, because it's my first Tenor ukulele.. and also my first good ukulele (I just got into ukes a few weeks ago, and had a cheap Mahalo soprano).

Indeed, those are Aquila strings. It looks like I will end up making a video tomorrow :D

I have a KA FMT. I got it to replace my Kala Mango Tenor that I had sold. It is a nice ukulele I like it better then I liked the mango.

To be honest I prefer Concert size ukulele but I keep getting drawn back to picking this one up to play on. Mine does not have that much splating but it is still very cool looking.

It (FMT) will probably be a brighter sounding uke then the Mahogany (What I have heard I have never played a Mahog uke)

I don't think you will be unhappy with either choice.

Thanks a lot.

Since travelling is not really a necessity for me, I think I'll drop off the thinline, even though it sounds pretty good from what I heard on youtube.
I found another uke on MGM's store which might fit my criteria.

The KALA KA-FMT (spalted maple sides, solid sprucetop).

Which one would you recommend. That one, or the
KA-ASMT-C electric.

The KA-FMT has a laminated sides/back. It is beautiful, but the ASMT is solid wood, which most folks around here favor (I do). I had a KA-FMT-C and a KA-FMS and sold both - just wasn't completely satisfied with them. Of course, I now have Kanileas and for the moment at least the UAS is at bay...

Alright, here is the video using the Kala ASMTEC :)
I've only been playing for a few weeks, so please go easy on me! Tips would be appreciated if I'm doing something wrong.
(I'm originally a wind instrument player. Uke is my first stringed instrument).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKIDINfZAQ&fmt=16

Last edited:
Awesome! Very nice high quality video! Good recordings, and I love the Ocarina :)

But I also hate you, since I was leaning towards the KA-FMT, and now I'm in doubt again! What a nice instrument!

Thanks again, and cheers!

OK, one more question.

Just to have some referencing material, how would you describe the sound Jake's ukulele.

Bright or Warm and Dark?

I really love the sound of his Ukulele (who doesn't), and I realize that I won't be able to approach that sound without spending a lot of money. But I'm practicing some of his songs, so I'm wondering if the bright (spruce) or Warm/Dark (Mahogany) would fit it best.

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Cheers,

Nick

I really love the sound of his Ukulele (who doesn't), and I realize that I won't be able to approach that sound without spending a lot of money. But I'm practicing some of his songs, so I'm wondering if the bright (spruce) or Warm/Dark (Mahogany) would fit it best.

To get the sound of a koa, get a koa.

I'm afraid the solid/solid top ones are a bit too expensive for me.
So I'm not looking to imitate the sound, but that's why I'm asking, do you think his sound is bright or warm (since I don't really have a feeling for these definitions yet, even after watching tons of youtube ukulele movies.

Thanks again!

In that case, a Mahogany would sound closer than a Spruce.

Top Bottom