Course of study..

Komichido

Reaction score
This is an amazing group of people. I feel blessed to have been smitten by this "lil instrument that could" and thus you folks.

My question is about a reasonable course of study. There is so much...did I say so damn much..stuff out there that I am unable to put together a viable and effective course of study.

I know I should find an Ukulele instructor but believe me when I say that Last Vegas is full of flakes and I am not ready to go down that road.

Here is what I think is important;
Chords
Chord progressions
Scales
Strumming

Is this right? Advice please..ready go..

For a very structured approach, including learning musical notation, there's The Ukulele Way by James Hill. The lessons here are all for either high-G, low-G, high-A (D tuning) or low-A (D tuning), and you can view them all if you ever get curious about another tuning, which was the reason why I subscribed. The UU University here on this site is also fantastic, though the material is all for high-G (standard ukulele tuning).

This is an amazing group of people. I feel blessed to have been smitten by this "lil instrument that could" and thus you folks.

My question is about a reasonable course of study. There is so much...did I say so damn much..stuff out there that I am unable to put together a viable and effective course of study.

I know I should find an Ukulele instructor but believe me when I say that Last Vegas is full of flakes and I am not ready to go down that road.

Here is what I think is important;
Chords
Chord progressions
Scales
Strumming

Is this right? Advice please..ready go..

Equip yourself from the Resources of the Beginners forum.

A Chord Cart ~128 chords will be enough!
A Key Chord Chart, listing the chords in each key major and minor. I like the color keyed one.
Scale chart/s too.
Strumming is an adventure in and of itself. U and Down is not even half of it. :cool:

Oh and Lead sheets to give you the chords for songs. and "Endeavor to Persevere":music::rock:

For chords and chord progressions a very good place to start is Uncle Rod's Bootcamp - free downloads.

Have you exhausted all the free stuff here on UU? Aldrine and the others have put up a lot of stuff for us. When you're all done with that you could give UU+ a try.

Ukulele Underground Plus (UU+), I second.

It has graduated classes that lead you from one level to the next, rather than the hodge-podge of trying to learn online by poking around YouTube and Vimeo. Plus, it supports the "amazing people", as you put it, on this website. You can proceed at your own pace for a month for less than the cost of one in-person lesson. A winner.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/sign-up

Ukulele Way is very comprehensive and really good. It's not impossible for a complete beginner, but you might have better success with UW if you start out with James Hill's book Play Ukulele Today! That would be a good intro prior to jumping into UW.

If your goal is to quickly get up to speed for strumming songs, you should know that the emphasis of the UW curriculum is solo ukulele playing.

Top Bottom