help with uke decision

bravo-05

Reaction score
hi, i purchased my first uke online since the ones in my area didnt interest me. I bought a kala ka spalted maple tenor with eq.

when i received it there were 3 areas that had "finish cracks" on the top of the uke. (the cracks dont go through)

my question is if these finish cracks affect the uke and will generally get worse or not. It is obvious it was due to a humidity issue which I will take care of asap.

should i keep it or not? i have to add that they upgraded me for free to the EQ version with tuner because they had no more regular ones in stock. and now the EQ ones are out of stock as well.

Only you can decide.

yes i realize that....i wanted to know more about the finishing cracks....if they will cause problems down the road or are they purely aesthetic problems...thx

My opinion:
By all means, return it post haste. It's new and, even if it doesn't get worse, (which it will) it will not get better and will never even look new. Get your money back if they don't have a replacement you want.

I vote to return it too. For what you paid you should get a pristine instrument. That they gave you the eq to get rid of it is an indication that they didn't want to have to wholesale it because of the cracks.

You could wait until they have another Kala in stock, or you could buy a Caramel Tenor for ~$65 and have something to play while you wait for your Kala.

If you got a screaming deal that you could never reproduce, consider keeping it. Finish cracks are generally cosmetic and unlikely to affect the tone of the instrument. Nobody can guarantee you that they won't get worse; it depends on the reason the finish cracked in the first place. I own a beautiful uke with a lot of finish crazing; it still sounds great, and the price was adjusted for the defects. I feel like I got a bargain.

However, given that this is a standard model, I personally would probably send it back. A new instrument should not have defects, unless it was identified as a "Second" or a "blem."

If it has cracks, then it is not of 'merchantable quality', & is definitely sub standard, return it & get your money back, they obviously don't look after their stock.

I never really understand why people think about keeping something they don't like.
If there's something wrong with it, return it.

I never really understand why people think about keeping something they don't like.
If there's something wrong with it, return it.

I agree. It doesn't sound like it was well taken care of ... or the vendor new about it and decided to sell it anyways.

Send it back. Don't even think about it.

Spalted maple has an uneven finish, so you might see if humidifying the uke will help. If the cracks are more than surface blemishes, of course, a return would be in order. As cml said, it's your call.

thanks for the comments. the only reason i am considering keeping it is because it is hard to see due to the spalted maple finish. i can only feel it when using my nail. plus i got it upgraded. if finish cracks dont affect the integrity of the instrument i might consider keeping it.

thanks for the comments. the only reason i am considering keeping it is because it is hard to see due to the spalted maple finish. i can only feel it when using my nail. plus i got it upgraded. if finish cracks dont affect the integrity of the instrument i might consider keeping it.
Welcome to the UU family.
"""I might consider keeping it""" If the finish bothers you, make it a satin finish.
Take off the strings and hardware. With your brain turned on, gently rub the finish that is offending you, with a razor blade for a Few hours and then 600 grit until you are satisfied with your handiwork. Be sure to do all the instrument, front and back. No sloppy shortcuts here among the family is tolerated. A gentle rub on and off with lemon oil when you are finished, now you have a new satin finish treasure.
Don't forget the fret board also with the lemon oil on and off. Then set up the action and the saddle to your new exacting quality standards which you have set for your ukulele adventures.

Welcome to the UU family.
"""I might consider keeping it""" If the finish bothers you, make it a satin finish.
Take off the strings and hardware. With your brain turned on, gently rub the finish that is offending you, with a razor blade for a Few hours and then 600 grit until you are satisfied with your handiwork. Be sure to do all the instrument, front and back. No sloppy shortcuts here among the family is tolerated. A gentle rub on and off with lemon oil when you are finished, now you have a new satin finish treasure.
Don't forget the fret board also with the lemon oil on and off. Then set up the action and the saddle to your new exacting quality standards which you have set for your ukulele adventures.

It is already a satin finish. Here are the cracks IMG_9692.jpgIMG_9693.jpgIMG_9694.jpg

To me, this looks like it's deeper than just the finish.

It is like something impacted it sharply at some points and bluntly at another. To my eye it looks stable, but I agree it is more than just finish.

I would keep if the purchase was with disclosure of it and at a deep discount.
Return it if it wasn't.

I agree, those are not surface cracks, they are in the wood. Return it with a complaint that they sold you a damaged instrument.

Absolutely would not accept cracks on a new instrument. Not even discounted. An older instrument with some mojo would be a different story.

Top Bottom