Facial Contortions

UkuEroll

Reaction score
Anyone else have trouble keeping a straight face when playing, my wife says it looks like I'm trying to catch flys, but some notes just sound soooo nice my face just goes with it, and I mouth oohhhhhh

i make faces and sometimes bob my head to go along with the beat

You're in good company. The first person I think of when I see people doing that is Stevie Ray Vaughan.

exhibit-Stevie-Ray-Vaughn.jpg

We call this the stank face, as in that sounded so good it stanky

I've been doing that just seeing some of the screen names used around here!

Last edited:
I have to consciously try to keep my face somewhat normal. My face is always in stank mode...

(That didn't come out right...)

I once saw an interview with Richie Sambora from Bon Jovi. I'm not sure if I spelled his name right. He commented about the fact that he makes faces when he plays guitar and that his mom used to tease him about making "sex faces" when he played. You're in good company.

I don't make sex faces. Instead when it feels real good, I swear or start using a funny voice. It's just as bad.

Back when I thought I would make a life playing music and I played all the time I always had a tendency to kinda sing the sounds I wanted my bass to make. I'd just jam away and quietly sing along (boo ba dot dot bow....) I always felt like when I had a sound I wanted and I shaped the sound with my mouth as I played it, I tended to produce the sound better on the instrument. Maybe it's all psychological. Who knows?

Obviously I wasn't doing a lot of lead singing.

Not so much on the ukulele.. but watch out when im playing Rockband!!! I didnt realize that I was doing it till my son started copying me :eek:

maui_ukelele.jpg

Last edited:
Back when I thought I would make a life playing music and I played all the time I always had a tendency to kinda sing the sounds I wanted my bass to make. I'd just jam away and quietly sing along (boo ba dot dot bow....) I always felt like when I had a sound I wanted and I shaped the sound with my mouth as I played it, I tended to produce the sound better on the instrument. Maybe it's all psychological. Who knows?

Obviously I wasn't doing a lot of lead singing.

You're in pretty good company than: Glenn Gould and one to see his hands

I stick my tongue out and bite down on it a little bit, especially during instrumental parts/solos. You can see that in a few of my videos.. although I really try hard to not do it.

This is the facial expression I think of when I hear that description. Not from a musician but from an all-time great.

Attachments

• jordantongue.jpg
    jordantongue.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 14
yes.. i do this also.. i even had someone comment on them in one my of last videos.. i think its just part of playing.. i notice all the local people have things they do.. i think as long as it is not districting it is okay.. for some it even added to the performance..

Top Bottom