Crossrock 800 or Wait for Oahu Case?

OhioBelle

Reaction score
So based on the awesome reviews, I ordered the leather-covered fiberglass soprano case by Oahu from HMS. The inventory showed it in stock at the time, but two weeks later I got an email saying that was a mistake, that there were none in inventory, but they were expected in within the month. Today they told me it would be yet another month before the factory finishes the HMS order.

They've offered me a Crossrock 800 for $40. Should I take it? It seems like a great deal, but reviews are mixed on the Crossrock. Flimsy latches seem to be the biggest concern. It's ABS vs. Fiberglass, but I wouldn't be stowing it in airline cargo. It MIGHT go in the overhead or under the seat.

I was initially smitten with that elegant leather covered Oahu, but is it worth the significant price difference?

I have a Crossrock 800, and it's a good, sturdy case. I have never had problems with the latches, but then again, my ukes don't see hard duty-- being carried to acoustic jam sessions is probably the extent of it.

If simple protection is your goal, the Crossrock will do just fine. They aren't bad looking, but they are a bit plain. Still, they are more interesting looking that the standard black case that we used for a million years.

I have both cases. The Crossrock 800 is a tremendous value even at full price and more than adequate. Never had a problem with the latches.

The leather-covered Oahu case is definitely a step up in fit, finish and aesthetics. And compared to the Crossrock 1000, I think it's a very good value. I'm into bling, so I'd prefer the Oahu. But given the Crossrock is half price, that would be hard to pass up.

They fit entirely differently, so I'd be sure you let them know what uke is going in it and get their opinion on fit.

Crossrock 800 came today, and I'm happy to say that my Primrose soprano fits perfectly. It's a nice case, although the latches are a bit fiddly. I have to almost force them to make them close. No biggie. $40 bucks can't be beat, and HMS had it to me in two days! I do like the textured gray finish, which almost looks like a gray-blue tweed.

I'm still waiting for the Oahu leather-topped fiberglass case in tenor in April...hopefully!

I have a Crossrock *900* case I'm going to compare with it. I liked the 900 over the 800 for many reasons--especially the sturdiness, weight and the "non-dragon tooth" style hinges. But the backpack style of the Oahu appeals to me. If I choose the Oahu, I'll put the 900 (never used, still with tags) up for sale...

Crossrock 800 came today, and I'm happy to say that my Primrose soprano fits perfectly. It's a nice case, although the latches are a bit fiddly. I have to almost force them to make them close.

I have a Crossrock 800 that I really like. It, too, had latches that didn't close easily, but I've found that over time,they're easier to use now. Either I've gotten stronger, LOL, or they've loosened up with use. Good reason to keep getting the ukulele out and playing it. :)

I have a Crossrock 800 that I really like. It, too, had latches that didn't close easily, but I've found that over time,they're easier to use now. Either I've gotten stronger, LOL, or they've loosened up with use. Good reason to keep getting the ukulele out and playing it. :)

Joyful, I'm thinking my latches are getting better already. I think it has to do with the aluminum flange all around the case. It seemed slightly out of shape at first, but is now conforming better. After a lot of opening and closing, of course. :)

I'm still waiting for the Oahu leather-topped fiberglass case in tenor in April...hopefully!

I hope yours arrives next month, Tonya! I am absolutely certain it will be worth the wait. I'll probably end up buying one at some point, and will be depending on you to let us know how you like it. :eek:

Top Bottom