string-tie.com - any experiences with these beads

imperialbari

Reaction score
http://string-tie.com

Until this morning I never knew about these beads used to make string tying easier.

The shop part of the site linked to is defunct, but I have found an outlet within the EU still selling them. At a price a bit steep after my taste.

Any experiences using these beads?

Will they work on ukes, where the string knots sit on the soundhole side of the bridge like with the Kala Pocket sopranino.

Do they cause buzzing?

Klaus in DK

I bought these a year or so ago, the ukulele version. I found them to still be too big, too smooth, and too obnoxious looking. I did not keep them on, so I can't say if they would have caused buzzing. I'd suggest looking at glass or plastic beads on ebay or a crafting store, which will be much cheaper, smaller, and likely look better. (The holes shouldn't be bigger than 0.8 or 1.00mm. 4 or 5mm beads are probably the ideal size, depending on the bridge.)

Seems like an answer looking for a question or a solution in need of a problem!

Can't see how they can justify the claim "Even the guitar sound is intensified, because the string isn't fastened directly onto the bridge."

No wonder the shop part of the site linked to is defunct ... :confused:

I have two set. They work great. Very easy to use, change string when I wast. Very simple. I guess the look is in the eye of the beholder. Because they are square they fit the bridge and stay in place. I have two tie bridges and two slot bridge tenor. All methods work well Tie is easy, slot is easy and tie blocks is easy and makes changing strings and re using them when you are looking for the "set" for a certain sound and feel. I see no downside. Recommend them for sure.

I got some beads a couple years ago.
I use them on some of my ukes.

There's a couple of "benefits"

1) they don't wear down a tie bridge because the strings don't compress the wood. If you have a princess uke, and you don't want to get the little dents on the bridge, these will not dent the bridge.

2) it changes the break angle over the saddle making it steeper. The string goes from the top of the saddle, to the hole. When you tie, the tie pulls the string away from the soundboard a little bit. Some think that it changes energy transfer because of the different angle. Some argue that it increases the sheer by raising the lever arm of the saddle.

Honestly.. it doesn't sound any different to me. They don't buzz, and I'm not sure it makes changing strings any faster, since the knot is kinda convoluted, and twisting for a tie bridge is pretty easy.

I wouldn't buy them again though, as they are not exactly cheap, and I am not convinced they improve anything.

Top Bottom