How cold is too cold for uke storage

wildfire070

Reaction score
I have my ukes stored in their cases on a uke shelf in my office and that room has a lot of windows and not as insulated as the rest of the house. Average temp in that room is around 60 degrees F maybe lower with the cold front coming the next few days. Is that too cold for the ukes? Do I have to worry about damage? I know low/high humidity has more to do cracks/warping of the wood but I'm not sure about temperature.

You should be fine. Just keep them humidified in their cases if you're running heater

I don't have any uke experience yet, but I have several guitars including a solid wood Taylor. I wouldn't worry at all at 55-60 degrees. I don't think you'll have a serious concern until you get below 40, and even then, they would probably survive without issue.

A sudden temp change is much worse than a gradual change. A sudden change would be leaving your instrument in your freezing car, then bringing it inside and immediately opening the case.

I don't have any uke experience yet, but I have several guitars including a solid wood Taylor. I wouldn't worry at all at 55-60 degrees. I don't think you'll have a serious concern until you get below 40, and even then, they would probably survive without issue.

A sudden temp change is much worse than a gradual change. A sudden change would be leaving your instrument in your freezing car, then bringing it inside and immediately opening the case.
Agreed. I think you're safe above freezing. But rapid temperature changes can be murder on instruments, both on solid woods as well as the glued joints.

Top Bottom