stopped biting my nails literally

Choboy

Reaction score
so ive been a nail biter for the past 20 years of my life here on earth.
tried so many times to stop!
even tried that nail polish that is clear but tastes super bad!
even tried clear nail polish that was filled with extra calcium.
couldn't even stop biting my nails when i played guitar in high school.

but finally oh but finally!
no more nail biting!
i see all these uke techniques that work a lot easier when you don't use a pick. and there is so much more freedom without a pick. so i stopped biting my nails and the temptation has fallen!
but it has only been two weeks.... but im on the road to recovery!

the uke has healed me!
i stopped mostly cause i like "chunking". sounds nice.

man! i've been a nail biter for nearly ten years now. i need help! well done - i feel like i might not love the uke enough if it can't stop me biting my nails :( i shall address that

I know huh!

It was playing the uke that finally got me to stop chewing my nails. I've been chewing them for 25 years and have tried to stop several times. But it wasn't until I started playing the ukulele that I got myself to stop. :shaka:

I have the same situation and have "stopped" twice in the last 15 years but when the stress heats up it's back to nibbling. As for strumming I just use a pick, but I'm hoping uke playing will chill me out enough to stop.

Hey we can start a nail biters anonymous with Ukulele therapy!

I'm a bitter too, but I omit my thumb, index, and middle finger nails. I use those for playing. Biting my nails keeps my left hand fingers short all the time, so I don't have to worry about my nails getting in the way when I'm fretting notes. That lets me keep the nail biting habit, but still take advantage of built-in nails. Nail clippers are for wimps! (not really - they are just for people with more will power than the rest of us...)

I like your method hippieguy.

I'm reading this thread wondering how one could ever quit but I think I could manage to skip a couple fingers...

I'll just have to replace them with toenails.

left hand ONLY! why didn't i think of that. i wonder if any of the admins are biters...

so ive been a nail biter for the past 20 years of my life here on earth.
tried so many times to stop!
even tried that nail polish that is clear but tastes super bad!
even tried clear nail polish that was filled with extra calcium.
couldn't even stop biting my nails when i played guitar in high school.

but finally oh but finally!
no more nail biting!
i see all these uke techniques that work a lot easier when you don't use a pick. and there is so much more freedom without a pick. so i stopped biting my nails and the temptation has fallen!
but it has only been two weeks.... but im on the road to recovery!

the uke has healed me!
i stopped mostly cause i like "chunking". sounds nice.
This is truly wonderful! You'll be able to explore all different types of sounds and picking patterns!

Glucosamine

I take this stuff my wife gets at Costco. It's Glcosamine plus MSM @ 1500 mgs. I take them twice per day. I have a bad hip from an injury...anyway a side benefit is that my nails have NEVER been stronger. I also get a manicure once per month...I know that sounds kind'a sissy, but I have a lot resting within my nails.

does anybody here bite their cudicals (i think that's how you spell it) it's the skin either side of your nails. i need therapy! is there an optimum length for your nails to be for uke?

I just bite the nails on my left hand and use this nail clear polish that has protein and some other stuff in it on my right hand. That keeps my nails on my strumming hand rock hard so if I start to chew on them out of habbit I can catch myself before any real damage is done.

im thinking about buying some clear calcium rich nail polish.
you know... so my fingernails become indestructible.
then i will take over the world!

Top Bottom