Blackbird just flew in..

etudes

Reaction score
I haven't had time to do a proper NUD but wanted to report that the Farallon arrived from HMS. First impressions: It looks way cool. Understated styling which I prefer and the Ekoa looks organic. It's already taking me new places in my uke playing. More about that later with some sound samples. Playability score is high (non-radius finger board). I love the tone, wood like to my ears but it has it's own unique voice. Impressed that it doesn't sound thin up the neck like other tenors I've played. My expectations were pretty high but I'd say it has exceeded them!

Last edited:
I haven't had time to do a proper NUD but wanted to report that the Farallon arrived from HMS. First impressions: It looks way cool. Understated styling which I prefer and the Ekoa looks organic. It's already taking me new places in my uke playing. More about that later with some sound samples. Playability score is high (non-radius finger board). I love the tone, wood like to my ears but it has it's own unique voice. Impressed that it doesn't sound thin up the neck like other tenors I've played. My expectations were pretty high but I'd say it has exceeded them!

CONGRATS on your NUD!!! :cheers: Blackbird Farallons are awesome instruments!!!

Best wishes for a long and happy life with your Farallon!​I like the idea of it not sounding thin up the neck. it will be interesting to hear more as you and your new uke get to know each other.

Congratulations! Curiously enough, I also got a new Farallon this week. I played one at Gryphon in Palo Alto back in September, and was really wowed by the clarity and power of the tone. I've played a Rainsong carbon fiber guitar and really enjoy the clear tone and relatively maintenance-free lifestyle. I briefly had a Clara, but never adjusted to the rounded back. For me, the Farallon has been a great fit-- really a fabulous instrument.

Congrats, eTudes and RichM on your recent Farallons. Another UU'er recently added one and I am really impressed with the tone and how well it compares to some very high end custom instruments.

I've talked to them for awhile about doing one with a uni-direction top (like their eKoa guitars; see the Savoy for example) rather than cross-weave like they do in their ukes. This is purely for aesthetic reasons (yeah, I"m shallow that way). The unitop requires adjusting the bracing. Joe just agreed to do it, so it's six months out. Pretty stoked about it.

Congrats!
I received mine a few weeks ago. I asked Joe to add a side sound port and he proposed to replace the bridge with a custom string-through one to be safe with thicker gauge/ high tension strings. I also asked for a gloss top, it's useless but it looks better in my opinion :)
Farallon is a fantastic uke, with a crazy dynamic, a lot of clarity, and a very unique tone. You won't be disappointed!!

All right this is like a Farallon love in.......I have one on order as well. Etudes and I had been communicating about his upcoming Farallon, Congratulations buddy, glad you are so pleased with it.

Congratulations! Curiously enough, I also got a new Farallon this week. I played one at Gryphon in Palo Alto back in September, and was really wowed by the clarity and power of the tone. I've played a Rainsong carbon fiber guitar and really enjoy the clear tone and relatively maintenance-free lifestyle. I briefly had a Clara, but never adjusted to the rounded back. For me, the Farallon has been a great fit-- really a fabulous instrument.

Thanks, Congrats to you as well! I'm traveling for work next week, it will be the first road trip for the Blackbird..

Congrats!
I received mine a few weeks ago. I asked Joe to add a side sound port and he proposed to replace the bridge with a custom string-through one to be safe with thicker gauge/ high tension strings. I also asked for a gloss top, it's useless but it looks better in my opinion :)
Farallon is a fantastic uke, with a crazy dynamic, a lot of clarity, and a very unique tone. You won't be disappointed!!

Sounds intriguing!

Congrats, eTudes and RichM on your recent Farallons. Another UU'er recently added one and I am really impressed with the tone and how well it compares to some very high end custom instruments.

I've talked to them for awhile about doing one with a uni-direction top (like their eKoa guitars; see the Savoy for example) rather than cross-weave like they do in their ukes. This is purely for aesthetic reasons (yeah, I"m shallow that way). The unitop requires adjusting the bracing. Joe just agreed to do it, so it's six months out. Pretty stoked about it.

It would look amazing! Look forward to seeing it.

I am soooo jealous. I played a friend's the other day and loved the sound and ease of playing. It has a strong, loud voice. I have a Blackbird tenor cause I didn't care for the Clara. I would have bought the new one had it been available a few years ago. Enjoy!

Congrats!

I got mine a few weeks ago. Here is a sound sample I did for Dave and Eddie, who have a Farallon on order.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjdfbou57ypj9ls/Sound Sample 2.wav?dl=0

I have played a lot of fine instruments since I started playing the uke around 6 months ago. The tone and playability on the Farallon has really impressed me.

Last edited:
I'm considering sound port now. Pic I have from Joe looks great. He said it was a
Good idea for low G players. I'm high g but still like the idea. Look
Forward to some sound samples from all these new owners

It's nice to hear from so many others with the Farallon (or waiting for theirs to fly in). The Soundport is an intriguing option.. I bought mine with a MiSi pickup installed by Blackbird. This weekend I'll give that a go! Enjoyed Mezcelaro's sound samples.

Wow- that soundport sounds intriguing. Saw a picture of it on their website, I think. Maybe it was yours. I have the Farallon and the Clara- love both, but its the Farallon I reach for most days. I have it in high g and my Clara in low. I also requested a radius fretboard which I love. Such a great playing and sounding uke.

Congrats on your new baby!

Top Bottom