Do any of you use linear D tuning?

Mivo

Reaction score
I know that James Hill uses it, but do any of you use linear D tuning (ADF#B) with a low-A?

If so, what have your experiences with strings been? The most obvious choice are probably Southcoast's medium tension strings. Have you tried others? I'm very reluctant to attempt this with regular tension Worth tenor strings.

I'm not sure if I'd like the tuning, but since I use re-entrant D tuning on two of my sopranos, it would simplify matters for me to use linear D on the tenor size also (I'd only need to memorize the fretboard once!).

Do you like the tuning on your tenor or concert?

I tried linear D on my Tenor, just out of curiosity how it would sound. I really didn't like how "high strung" the uke felt. The whole instrument just gave off a really tense vibe.

Tried F-Bb-D-G? It's NICE!!!

What strings did you use for the D tuning? It possibly sounding strangled is something I worried about.

Yes, I tried re-entrant Bb tuning on the tenor, really liked it too. :) I haven't tried the linear version because I figure a low-F might be a little deep (I feel low-G is already pushing it). Might do that again.

Yes, for strings I had Worth Brown regular Tenor linear tuning strings at the time, and simply tuned everything up 2 half steps to D linear. Maybe a lighter tension string would have felt better.

For linear B-flat tuning, the Aquila Red unwound has worked fine, less floppy than the Worth Brown. This is from a fingerstyle playing perspective. If I used B-flat tuning to accompany my singing, I suspect it would pair up better with my voice / range than C. If I was predominantly a Strummer I'd probably stray with reentrant tuning.

Unless you need it to sing in your key.
I'd stick to the lower tuning.
Use a capo.
You'll eventually pop your bridge.

I have reentrant D on my 16" super concert with Southcoast LU (really the "soft lights" that aren't listed anymore). The feel is good and the sound is good but I felt like it lost a lot of warmth with this uke even just compared to the original C tuning. I've been meaning to go back to C but I wonder if going to a low A would restore that warmth and still keep the chimey high end. Hmmm.

Top Bottom