NUD: Kala Tenor

mswiggins

Reaction score
I wanted up upgrade from my Cordoba Concert Ukulele to a nicer tenor. And for my birthday I requested the Kala KA-ATP-CTG. I just loved the slot head and had heard good things about it.

It was ordered from HMS and arrived 16 days later.

I had it equiped with a low G string. That is taking some getting used to. The low g seems to overpower the other strings, but I love the action and the intonation is spot on. It is beautiful too!

IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

It sounds so warm and the aroma of the cedar is great too!

HMS did a great job with setup and packaging.

That's a lovely uke! Kala have really upped their game in recent years, especially with their Tenor ukuleles! :cool:

Congratulations on your new Kala. I have been happy with the Kala ukuleles I have owned. I am sure you will enjoy yours.

I have the electric cut away.
With a freemont soloist.. I thought the low G was too overpowered.
I switched to a Tomastik Infeld cf30, and it's alot more balanced imho.
They just blend better than any other wound bass I've tried with fc strings.

I think this is one of the best value uke's available. It plays well, sound great, and looks beautiful. I owned one for a short while then sold it to my best buddy. Experiencing a little remorse about that; but he enjoys it and we get to play together now and again.

Congratulations (and happy birthday)!

The low G doesn't overpower: you're probably in the habit of hitting the (high) 4th string with a little extra force. Try using a strum angle that is a little higher at the 4th string side. The two tuning patterns call for different technique in some areas, and arrangements tailored to reentrant tuning may not work well with linear tuning (particularly if they're tabbed-out fingerpicked pieces). But linear tuning has its own strengths, and overall I prefer it for most things.

You are correct on the strumming and on my perception.
When first playing, all I hear is the low G. I would ask my wife and daughter how it sounds and they would say great!
So I asked my daughter to play it some.

She would say that it sounds low G dominant, but it didn't to me.

It is just not what I am used to hearing.

Congrats on a fine choice. I have yet to find a tenor in this price range that I like as much as the Kala cedar. I keep mine strung with 2 wound bass strings and 2 treble strings. I use either the Southcoast ML-WB set or the Tomastik-Infeld CF30 and CF27 paired with Oasis E and A strings. Both sets hit the sweet spot for me.

Top Bottom