Pick with fluorocarbon strings?

aarondminnick

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with nylon and celluloid picks lately when playing jazz uke. I was wondering if folks had experience using picks with fluorocarbon strings.

I understand from reading fishing line comparisons that fluorocarbon has superior abrasion resistance to nylon, so it seems that it would handle the wear and tear of picking better than other string types as well. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I also use the .38mm nylon ones, and haven't noticed any abrasion with either Nylguts or fluorocarbons. I've tried other materials (whatever it is that the Dunlop Gators and Tortex are made of), but preferred the nylon picks, mostly because of their thinness (the Gators have a nice point). The green Sharkfins are thinner even, but I found them a little too floppy. Definitely all a matter of preference - plenty of people will say the .38mm are too floppy too! I believe these materials are all softer than finger nails, so unless you are using a metal pick, you should be fine. :)

Another vote for the Jim Dunlop nylon picks here. I've developed a preference for a slightly thicker/stiffer pick than an 0.38mm and am currently using an 0.60mm on the Nylguts on both my soprano and tenor ... no signs of abrasion or wear of any kind :)

I don't always use a pick. But when I do, I make it Wedgies.

I don't always use picks, but when I do, I use Jim Dunlop.

....60mm nylon.

Since we are doing our versions of the most interesting man in the world.

John

Last edited:
I always use a pick, but am not "picky" (couldn't resist that!).

Any medium-weight pick works fine for me. I'm forever losing them, so the discount brands make that less traumatic.

Ooh, this original question--the "wearability" of various strings when using a pick--is of interest to me as I've begun using a pick a lot in the past six months as part of the Luongo Ukulele Experience/Ensemble. The director wants an articulated sound on many of our songs and requests that we all use a 1.5mm pick (don't gasp!). We do. I hadn't even *considered* that the string wear might now be different with the frequent use of these thick picks (currently the Dunlop MaxGrip nylon in 1.5).

I'll be watching this thread to see what the pick *does* do to strings.... Of course, I guess I could just watch my ukulele ;)

My own strings are what Chuck Moore recommended:
Low G: Thomastik-Infeld CF30
C: Thomastik-Infeld CF27
E & A from Oasis "warm" set

They're a mixy-matchy set to buy so I'll be curious if "wear" will become an issue with lots of pick use.

I recently traded a Fluke for a tenor Kala arch top jazz uke. It's tuned low G with Worth Brown strings. I couldn't get sh*t for volume out of it with my fingers and was about to part with it. Then I found an old guitar pick laying in a drawer and the uke was transformed. Loud, and sweet warm and clean tone. Gets nice and brassy the closer I strum near the bridge. Bonus is a crazy metallic plink behind the bridge!

:cheers:

Top Bottom