New Ukulele/Music Experience

Osprey

Reaction score
I have been going to my weekly Uke group for 3 years or so, and have been active in some Uke sub groups. This morning a couple of other users and myself went to the local senior center. They have a Friday morning jam every week. Mostly guitar players but there was an auto harp a couple of harmonica players and a couple of drummers. No music so you had to listen for the chord changes, not something I have done a lot of in the past, but as the session went on I found it a bit easier. I plan to go back, the group was very friendly and this will stretch me a bit. It was a lot of fun.

Sounds great! Forcing yourself to play by ear like this is so valuable. Kudos for staying out of your comfort zone.

Good for you. That's a bit beyond what I would attempt at the time, as I just started attending a local uke group three weeks ago, but I can definitely see the benefit in jamming with a group of various instruments and no sheet music.

That is my definition of jamming, and it sounds fun. I'm envious.

I have delivered barbershop Singing Valentines and birthday greetings to senior centers and nursing homes as part of a Sweet Adelines quartet. There is nothing more heartwarming than being joined in song by the people who actually remember when those old songs were "top of the pops."

The joy is infectious! Pass it on!

I have delivered barbershop Singing Valentines and birthday greetings to senior centers and nursing homes as part of a Sweet Adelines quartet. There is nothing more heartwarming than being joined in song by the people who actually remember when those old songs were "top of the pops."

The joy is infectious! Pass it on!

Our group has also performed for assisted living/nursing homes. In this case we are the Senior Citizens. The Senior Center is a city run facility that supports independent Seniors. This music program provides a musical outlet for Seniors to play music and have a few laughs together.

Happy you had a good experience. Thanks for caring for others!

Way to go! My goal is to understand music well enough to play without sheet music.

My experience is actually the opposite; would typically 'jam' with no written music. Having music written down is a relatively new experience for me. In some ways it's easier cuz I no longer need to guess at or watch for the chord changes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom