Kala KA-SCG or Kala KA-C

lukx

Reaction score
Is it better to get Kala KA-SCG over KA-C ? Is it worth extra $?

I've got a KA-C and it's a perfectly adequate instrument. Without having both instruments side-by-side it'd be difficult to make a judgement of value, however if you prefer the lighter wood to the dark wood, (or vice versa), then it's a decision only you can make ;)

If memory serves, the KA-C is a standard entry level laminate mahogany ukulele, a small step up from Kala's entry level MK-C (I own a MK-CE). If you are going for budget with similar sound, put the MK-C on your list of Kala choices, too.

The SCG has a solid spruce top and gloss finish, and should be a significantly louder ukulele than the KA-C (Spruce projects as a tone wood). While The Ukulele Site has been cutting back instruments that they offer through their website, the KA-SCG is still listed ($157), which tells you something about how they feel about it--they no longer carry the KA-C on their website (although it is likely still available in their store).

Good luck on whatever you decide!

I really like how SCG looks just wanted to make sure its worth extra $ :)

50 bucks for a solid spruce top and a gloss finish? I wouldn't even consider the cheaper one. But don't know anything about your needs or means.

Thank you for help. I'm from Europe and here prices are a bit higher than 50$ but SCG it is :)

I have an SCG, it's my go to uke over my others. You will be happy with your choice. Good luck.

If the price difference is nominal, I'd say ALWAYS go with the solid top over laminate. If you happen to like the look better too, that's frosting on the cake.

Unless it's a quality laminate from Kiwaya/Famous (which I'd buy over a lower priced wooden instrument), I'd also always go for at least a solid top. Laminated back and sides make maintenance a bit more relaxed, but as most of the sound comes from the top, going with a solid soundboard is sensible. You made the right choice, I feel. :)

Top Bottom