Dupont Uke - conclusion of VAT saga...

bborzell

Reaction score
We were in Paris in September 2015. Took the opportunity to buy a new uke; posted pictures here at the time.

As is typical, we paid the Value Added Tax that is applied to Europeans and filled out the VAT return form at Dupont. Followed that with a scan of the form at the airport prior to our return to California and then, we waited.

Months passed with no word from anybody. Contacted Dupont along with the quasi agency that handles VAT return approval in France. Nobody replied.

Went to Amex and they noted that we had used the Amex for the deposit (we placed the order when we got to Paris and returned to Dupont after 3 weeks to pick it up), and that we needed to go to the CC company that my wife used to complete the transaction (which was not Amex).

By this time, 6 months had passed and the other CC company said that too much time had passed for a dispute. So, I began to get used to the notion that my new uke had really cost me $189.00 more than I had bargained for.

Time passed and I received an email from Dupont (14 months later). A woman named Dupont apologized that my emails had gone unanswered. Long story short; she credited the $189.00 back to my credit card.

The Dupont which has always sounded good sounded nearly $200.00 better that night.

I recall the posting as I really the that style of tenor. I have a Moodyville gypsy tenor that is very nice, made in Canada about five hours from where I live. I really liked the look of your DuPont. Did you ever post sound samples? Any comments having lived with it for awhile?

Anyways, always nice to hear things turned out for you and fact that DuPont took care of it that long after the sale is impressive and knowledge of their response would encourage me to buy from them. I always say, your dealer is most important factor when you buy, once you've picked you ukulele. Good for DuPont.

The Dupont (spruce top) is brighter than either of my other acoustic tenors. Where my MP (cedar top) offers a nice balance between warm and bright and my Pono ATDC (acacia top) is mostly on the warm side, the Dupont is more sensitive to string attack than the others.

Where both the MP and the Pono stay pretty much on their same respective tone plane with both soft and harder string attack, the treble on the Duport gets notably brighter the harder I push it. Not that it's a problem; it does make me more aware of how I strike the strings.

I'll post a sound sample first chance I get.

Top Bottom