Not So NUD: Moore Bettah Ukulele

Jayfuzi

Reaction score
I received this beautiful Adirondack Spruce top, Macassar Ebony Tenor ukulele from Chuck Moore in the latter part of last year. I almost gave up on the idea of posting this here, but I felt compelled to post partially because I feel like I've got UU to thank/blame for nurturing my desire for a Moore Bettah Ukulele. I've spent more time than I care to admit on here looking at MBU's and watching MBU videos on HMS. All the while plotting and dreaming about the day I might be able to own one. It seemed like a pipe dream, but I was prepared to be patient. When the opportunity came up to have Chuck build an MBU for me, I simply could not pass it up. :)

After much deliberation I settled in on this Adi Spruce/ Mac Ebony wood combination. During the build, Chuck sent me a couple of in progress photos.

When I saw the photo of the unfinished back, my heart just stopped. The wood was so beautiful. I wish there was a way to keep the raw wood look.
P1040599 by jmlee22, on Flickr

We went with an arm bevel which I think look SO cool, aside from being very comfortable to play and an offset soundhole.
P1040597 by jmlee22, on Flickr

Finished pics coming up:

In terms of tone, and playability MBU's are renowned as world class ukulele's. But I believe Chuck's artistic skill, as an inlay artist, and his eye for composition take his ukes to a different level. I've seen many photos of Chuck's beautiful inlay work, but seeing it in person I could more appreciate what Chuck does. When I see an up close photo of his inlay, it's easy for me to lose a sense of scale. In person, you can see how finely detailed his work is!

Here is the headstock plumeria:
DSC_0038 by jmlee22, on Flickr

I really liked how the fretboard inlay came out. The colors and the composition of elements were awesome. It looks simple enough but the fine grain detail is amazing. The way Chuck uses the wood/ stone grain to give texture to the mountains, to the water, and to the building. Every detail seems considered and thought out.
DSC_0036 by jmlee22, on Flickr

The elements of the fretboard inlay are laid out with purpose. The birds mark the 3 and 5 frets. The moon marks the 7th fret. The little hut roof is the 10th and beach is 12th. Very useful!

DSC_0035 by jmlee22, on Flickr

I love playing this uke. The tone is so beautiful, and it is such a joy to play. When you strum it, the whole uke resonates. I can "feel" the tone too and it only adds to the beauty of the tone. It's almost like the feel accentuates what I hear. Seems obvious, I suppose, but I've not experienced this on many other ukes.

There are many things that make MBU's special, but perhaps one of the most special things about MBU is Chuck Moore himself. Many on UU can attest to what amazing person Chuck is. Aside from his abilities as an artist and luthier, I have so much respect for Chuck as a person. I admire Chuck and his equally talented wife Bonnie for the way they live life to its fullest, for their perspectives on life, and how the feel we should treat one another in this world.

I may never have the opportunity to live off the grid in a tropical paradise building ukuleles, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot to learn about life from these two special people. They strive to infuse "mana" into their work and when I play my MBU I think about that mana he's put into my uke and it makes me so happy. :)

I also admire all the photos of good food he shares on Facebook! :)

Thanks to Chuck Moore for the beautiful uke and photos to share!
DSC_0032 by jmlee22, on Flickr

Last edited:
Congrats on the MB! Same wood combo I went for, which sounds unbelievable. Love the offset sound hole and slot head too. Well done!

-Steve

Congratulations that is a beautiful instrument that sounds as good as it looks. Love the wood combo, it a very powerful sound with that pairing of woods. Thanks for sharing.......a late NUD is better than no NUD at all :shaka:

That is one beautiful ukulele. I think that the inlay is particularly attractive. Might I ask what inspired you to put the sound hole where you did? Is there a particular benefit to putting it there, or is it more a visual affect that you were going for?

Oh my, this is heart-stoppingly beautiful. Congratulations and best wishes for many wonderful playing hours.

Welcome to the MB family and congratulations on a stunning uke. I agree with you, as much as I love the instruments, gettng to know Chuck and Bonnie is the real trasure.

Very beautiful. Congrats on the wonderful add!

Thank you for sharing this delightful instrument--even a bit "later" than a typical NUD post.

Enjoy every note picked and every note strummed!

That is one beautiful ukulele. I think that the inlay is particularly attractive. Might I ask what inspired you to put the sound hole where you did? Is there a particular benefit to putting it there, or is it more a visual affect that you were going for?

It's one of the options that Chuck offers. I believe the concept was to move the soundhole into the upper bout to provide more area for the top to vibrate. I just liked how it looked! :D

Thank you for sharing this delightful instrument--even a bit "later" than a typical NUD post.

Enjoy every note picked and every note strummed!

Hi Tonya, I'm sure I'm well outside the "NUD" window, but I wanted to share anyways. :)
By the way, I really enjoyed reading your Moore Bettah stories on your blog. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom