3 Tenors, 3 Prices advice sought

mlindberg

Reaction score
Pono MGT, Gretsch G9120-sk and Martin T1k. I've got a cheap kala soprano that I've used as a starter for a few months to see if I liked ukulele and now I'm thinking of moving up. I've played guitar for about 15 years so ukulele has been an easy transition. I want something with some more room on the fretboard, chords like Bm sometime seemed cramped. I'm just not sure how far to stretch the budget. The three ukuleles listed above are the ones I've narrowed my search to. I wan't something a little nicer than a starter instrument but don't want to spend too much. I plan on traveling with a ukulele this summer instead of one of my guitars and so I want something of a decent quality that will be satisfying to play and that I can be happy with for a long time.

Pono are a very well made instrument that is best bang for the buck. They get a lot of love and respect around hear because they are all solid, well build, play and sound really good. I own a number of ukes including three Ponos and I have been very pleased with all of them.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on a Martin, the Gretsch I've never heard anything about, but Pono does always seem to get good comments, so that would be the one to look at, I think. :)

How much are you wanting to spend? I would also recommend a Mainland Tenor (go to their website) and a KoAloha Opio Tenor.

I'm trying to keep it in the 300-500 price range with a little cushion for a hard case since It will be traveling this summer.

New uke is found. Called Elderly Instruments to inquire about the Martin T1k and the Gretsch G9120-sk as they both had in stock and the ever so helpful salesman steered me towards a nice used Martin T1k that they had gotten in priced similarly to the Pono and Gretsch I was looking at. Well see how it is when it arrives!

New uke is found. Called Elderly Instruments to inquire about the Martin T1k and the Gretsch G9120-sk as they both had in stock and the ever so helpful salesman steered me towards a nice used Martin T1k that they had gotten in priced similarly to the Pono and Gretsch I was looking at. Well see how it is when it arrives!

You will be happy with the Martin, I've played them and they are nice. Being a guitar guy I am sure the Martin name has a strong appeal to you. Congratulations.

I think you'll be pleasantly wowed by the T1K's sound. I don't think they get enough credit here. The sustain and tone on mine (also bought used) was amazing for the money. I don't know Ponos, but the T1K build (Mexico) is lighter and more resonant than the Gretsch solid hog tenor. Neck is slender and fast.
My only gripe would be the somewhat tacky logo sticker.
I sold mine only because I decided I didn't need three tenors in koa... kinda regretted not trying to trade it for a concert size.

Last edited:
I've played on a few T1Ks. They were all built very well and had a really nice sound. I hope you enjoy it greatly!

Are you looking for primarily a travel tenor? Heat and humidity variations are tough on solid wood ukes.
For a traveling uke on a budget, consider a Fluke.

Of the 3 ukes you mentioned I like the Pono, but it's a solid wood instrument and would need some heat and humidity control.

I'm curious as to the final (ballpark) price of the T1K? Going price on Amazon is about $540 (not set up).

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Ballpark price was between the price of the pono mgt and the gretsch 9120-sk. Mind you it is a used T1k but from a reputable dealer (Elderly) that included setup for no additional cost.

Congratulations! I bought my Martin T1K used about 4 years ago. I'm very happy with it. Enjoy!

T1K is a great choice and what I was going to recommend. I had a C1K and it was awesome, I only sold it because a Hawaiian made uke arrived on my porch one day...:shaka:

I've tried several Martin T1Ks and they all sounded great and are very reasonably priced. Ponos also sound great, but I prefer their older models with thinner necks.

How about a Corboda 30 Series? They are in the price range you mention and quite good. I own both a Cordoba and a Pono. The the lower tension strings on the Cordoba are easier to play in my opinion.

-- Gary

I think buying used was a good call, even more so since you'll be traveling with it. Is also makes reselling it financially less painful, if you ever decide to let it go. I should buy used more often, too.

Top Bottom