PDA

View Full Version : Cocobolo sapwood

zenkitty
03-22-2017, 01:17 AM
Hi all, new to the forum...I have been taking uke lessons for about 8 months and have one of the earlier Islander concert ukes. Great fun with a low G. Recently I decided to get a tenor and found a Cocobolo sapwood uke. The best I can describe playing it is like a buttery feel to the instrument and the resonance. I don't have a musical background, but that's the feel of it to me. The dang thing vibrates my body too.

Does anyone know much about sapwood in general? Wasn't it discarded for a long time in guitar-making, considering it junk?

Rob Uker
03-22-2017, 05:05 AM
I'd try different strings until you find something you like or bring it to a guitar shop and have them look at the setup.
Sometimes a couple of little tweeks will change the way you feel about an instrument and Cocobolo is a beautiful wood.

zenkitty
03-22-2017, 07:03 AM
oh, I am very happy with it, for sure. I do want to change strings eventually, just to try a different sound. I wasn't sure how different sapwood was compared to the actual wood used for the other ukes.

DownUpDave
03-22-2017, 07:13 AM
There are many custom builders that use numerous different species of tonewoods with some sapwood. Usually it is a middle strip on a back piece of koa, cocobolo, rosewood, walnut. But even Moore Bettah ukes (read world class) uses koa tops with sap wood and they sound great.

I know Cocobolo Ukes use it for tops and well as back and sides and there can be a great deal of sapwood in their pieces. Most of their ukes sound good so they seem to know what they are doing.

Nickie
03-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Congrats on your Cocobolo! Wehave one with a lot of sapwood in the top, and it sounds great. It's noteven broken in yet....

zenkitty
03-23-2017, 01:49 AM
Thanks! I am loving it. I love how the fretboard feels in my hand. I can smell the wood as I play. I have had it only 2 days now and it is already part of the family. This uke is all sapwood. I just had never heard of sapwood and did some research on it. Funny how you have an idea of what you want and then when you pick up a random uke, it just sings.... :o

DownUpDave
03-23-2017, 03:15 AM
Thanks! I am loving it. I love how the fretboard feels in my hand. I can smell the wood as I play. I have had it only 2 days now and it is already part of the family. This uke is all sapwood. I just had never heard of sapwood and did some research on it. Funny how you have an idea of what you want and then when you pick up a random uke, it just sings.... :o

We need to see pictures..........or it didn't happen ;)

We always love pictures of new ukes. There is a term used on this forum.... NUD.....stands for New Uke Day. Lots of pictures and gushing lovingly about it is encouraged

zenkitty
03-23-2017, 01:50 PM
OK, as soon as I figure out how!

zenkitty
03-23-2017, 01:54 PM

stevejfc
03-23-2017, 02:16 PM
One of my faves of all time. Kanile'a Koa Concert. I've had this baby since 2010. Knock-you-out sapwood!

zenkitty
03-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Oh pish posh!! Actually, I would LOVE their K1 tenor. Some day....*sigh*
:music: