Outdoor Blues

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I recently asked Outdoor Ukes if they had any plans to offer tenors in a darker color, like black, or the previously issued Stout. Opaque black with gold hardware would look spiffy, IMO! The answer was no, but they have a run coming up with a new color...COBALT BLUE. That should be interesting, looking forward to seeing it. Picture this in cobalt blue...translucent, I assume.

Green.jpg

Last edited:
As long as we are talking about Outdoor ukuleles, what differences are there with them and the Waterman? I've never actually seen and Outdoor ukulele, I've just seen pictures.

OU's come in tenor size, and I do not believe the Waterman comes that large. I am very happy with mine, and I am normally a soprano person :)

Those with the second generation sopranos have commented on the better setup, intonation, and sound than the Waterman, but I do not have first hand experience with that.

As long as we are talking about Outdoor ukuleles, what differences are there with them and the Waterman? I've never actually seen and Outdoor ukulele, I've just seen pictures.

In one word: Quality. I think the waterman is fine for what it is, but the quality of the OU is worlds better. I guess we should expect that for twice the price (although that is not always the case). I leave my OU in my car all year round and do not think I will ever have an issue (their site says it can go from -40 degrees F to 250 degrees F). The waterman on the other hand... Just after holding it, I would have reservations keeping it in my car in the summer when temps can hit triple digits.

I just acquired a soprano OU from a fellow UUer and having played a couple Waterman ukes that friends had, I think the OU sounds better and seems to be better made and higher quality. The cool thing is that they're made in the USA in Oregon! Mine will probably soon be passed on to my neighbor, who is from Oregon and an avid camper/hiker.

All the being said, what strings do people like on their OUs?

PS, didn't OUs start out in black?

I had a Waterman but never really liked anything about it.
After a while the plastic under the bridge weakened and the bridge tilted forward making it unplayable.
I thought about complaining but I never really liked it anyhow so I jut through it away.
You get what you pay for.

I like the stock Rye Rabbit strings. I purchased Aquila Reds for it, but will likely replace with the Rye Rabbit down the road. Although Reds on that new blue uke would be pretty.

Clever thread title. :)
If you want a darker color, you could always paint it. I've had success painting composite materials with Krylon Fusion for plastic.

As for strings...
Tenor: The original Rye Rabbits frayed and broke the first day, at least one of them (they addressed that issue later). I ended up liking Worth CT clear tenor for that. It now resides with a family member.
Soprano: The original strings sounded nice. I then tried LaBella pro, which were great for a LoPrinzi mahogany I had, but on the OU the intonation was thrown off. I switched to Worth CL clear light and loved them for it.

Now they are going to start shipping their ukes with D'addario fluorocarbon strings.

Top Bottom