ANyone Try the GHS artist series strings?

komedy

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new GHS artist series strings sets used by
Sarah maisel for the tenor and the craig chee baritone tuneing on guitar??

thanks

I dropped into my local Uke store to get new strings for three of my tenors. Was planning on either Worth or d'addario. I noticed the GHS strings in the rack and decided to try them out; at $3.79 a set, I figured I couldn't go too far wrong.

Since I don't like to constantly tune more that one uke at a time, I started out with the Dupont D hole. With it's Spruce top and Koa back/sides, it is the brightest of my three acoustic tenors. So far, the GHS strings have made it brighter, particularly the A string.

I knew that titanium blends add brightness to treble strings (the low G is not titanium), but I am a bit surprised at how bright the A is. Oddly, when I finger pick, the effect is minimal, but when I strum with any speed/force, the A rings out noticibly.

I'll string up the warmest of my ukes next (Pono ATDC) after the Dupont tuning sets in.

Strung the Pono up with the GHS strings. Impressive sound. Bass is full and not boomy. Treble is clear and not brittle or too bright. Good match to the ATDC.

The MP is next.

Almost forgot to add that the titanium strings come with a bead at one end that is designed to anchor the string behind the bridge instead of wrapping it.

Good idea, bad implementation. The bead will work its way through the bridge.

Has anyone tried the new GHS artist series strings sets used by
Sarah maisel for the tenor and the craig chee baritone tuneing on guitar??

thanks

A friend bought a set from Sarah, the Low G tenor set. She is a former Living Water lover and she likes the Maisel/Chee strings because they are a little thicker. I thought they sounded pretty good! Of course they sounded pretty good with Sarah and Craig playing them!
sardan.jpg

FYI, not sure what the difference is between regular GHS but the Maisel/Chee sets go for $10.

I have them on my Moore Bettah right now -- re-entrant ones. I really like them. I want to try Aldrine's strings next. But if they aren't my favourites I will go back to Sarah's strings. I like everything about them.

Last edited:
I tried the re-entrant baritone Chee set - mostly good, but would want to change the nut saddle sizes if I were to keep it.

A friend bought a set from Sarah, the Low G tenor set. She is a former Living Water lover and she likes the Maisel/Chee strings because they are a little thicker. I thought they sounded pretty good! Of course they sounded pretty good with Sarah and Craig playing them!
View attachment 98888

FYI, not sure what the difference is between regular GHS but the Maisel/Chee sets go for $10.

Not where I bought them. They were $3.79 per set.

I live about 20 miles from any store that carries uke strings. I use Juststrings to buy a bunch at a time; having four tenors makes it worthwhile. My order for the GHS strings was $32.00 for 10 sets. That would buy me about 2 sets of the more popular sets.

I like these fine.

I bought a set of Craig's bari-tenor strings from the man himself a couple of years ago - and then went out and bought a tenor uke to fit them to! :-o

Admittedly there was about a year between the two purchases and the tenor (an Ohana TKS-15E 'thinline' Electro Tenor Ukulele) had been discounted from £200 to £75(!) - and the strings suit the mahogany body very well (I tried them on my spruce-topped Kala travel tenor, as well: not so good a match), but still... if that's not a case of UAS, I don't know what is :(

I also bought a set right from the man's hand. I don't remember the name of the set but I think it was Low G CEA for the Baritone. Anyway, that's how I have them on my Bari. I love them but only for certain songs. They don't sound good strummed because they are so low sounding. It's like having a bass really and I add my bass Bari (that's what I call it anyway) to some of my songs that I make in Garage Band. If I can find the time (and energy), fighting bronchitis, I'll put up a short vid of the sound for y'all :)

Added a couple more sets of strings to my order to make the shipping a bit more palatable and they are ordered! Looking forward to trying them, my current set of Living Wate

Mine came, looking forward to stringing the uke up tonight or tomorrow as I am playing with some friends on Easter and that will give them a good stretch n tune.

Here is a video I made today of the very low sounding GCEA set on a Bari.

Hi everyone! Hi bonesigh, that is a super interesting set that you have! I love the unique sound that you're getting with it. Unfortunately that is definitely not a set that Sarah or I have ever sold. The bari-tenor set strings that we made with GHS is a re-entrant Baritone Tuning (DGBE) with a high D.... and only the one string is wound (the rest being a ground nylon). A quick video sample can be watched here: http://www.ghsstrings.com/videos/2031354

For everyone else, we've loved seeing people experiment and start playing with the bari-tenor set. Andrew Molina actually quickly fell in love with the set and used it for a few songs on his latest recording. Can't wait to hear what y'all do with it!

Top Bottom