Interest check - Like new Collings UC2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telperion

Reaction score
SOLD - Collings UC2K

SOLD - Greetings. I have a nearly new Collings UC2K that I purchased less than 2 months ago. It's a wonderful instrument, and a real stunner (fantastic koa on this one!). I purchased it with full intention of keeping it, but like many times before, I couldn't resist buying another uke (actually, a different Collings concert), and at this point I need to abide by the "one in, one out" rule. Thus, I am making this one available. Again, it's nearly new (haven't even filled out the warranty card), and really a gorgeous instrument. Tone is outstanding and condition is like new. Comes with original Collings case, an Oasis uke humidifier, and all the original paperwork that came with it. The price is SOLD, which includes paypal fees and domestic (U.S.) shipping. Please get in touch with any questions or comments you may have.

(Additional photos are in post #4 of this thread and include a photo with UU identification, date, etc.)

Thanks for looking!

-Steve

U1499-1.jpgU1499-2.jpgU1499-3.jpgU1499-4.jpgU1499-7.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, fantastic opportunity for somebody here!! Alas, I'm "full up" on concerts with two recent additions. If you don't sell it or for whomever does grab it, my personal opinion is Collings sound their best with a lower tension string than the Savarez that come stock. YMMV, of course.

Good luck!!!

Additional photos

Here are a couple more photos. The grain pattern is super tight on the sides, actually much more dramatic than really shows in the photo.

IMG_6864.jpgIMG_6866.jpgIMG_6867.jpg

my personal opinion is Collings sound their best with a lower tension string than the Savarez that come stock.

Funny you mention that, Eddie. I actually have it strung with Worth Brown (Mediums) right now. They're brand new still, but beginning to settle nicely. They sound very nice on the koa Collings. However, I'm a huge Savarez fan and love them on every spruce top I've had. Cheers!

-Steve

Wow Steve, that is amazing! I am happy I did not know you would be unloading this beauty as I am not sure I would have been able to resist trying to work out some sort of trade! And since I am trying to sell off ukes that would not have been good for me! Good luck with the sale!

- Colin

I'm just glad you're all in the US, so there is so much less temptation for me due to the prohibitive shipping costs and import/VAT taxes. :p Silver linings ...

beautiful.
"one in, one out" rule...
so i must sell before i buy too... :O

"one in, one out" rule... so i must sell before i buy too... :O

I wish I had the discipline for this. My rule is more loose: "A couple in, maybe a couple out later." I like to be sure the new one is a keeper, and likewise, that I really do want to sell the old one. If I had to let one go before I got a new uke, I would probably still only have my first good uke. Not such a bad thing, in retrospect ...

I like to be sure the new one is a keeper, and likewise, that I really do want to sell the old one.

Yes, I agree with this statement, and in fact it's what I've done in this case. The reason I am selling this UC2K is that I just purchased a UC3K. I've got a pretty small collection and like to keep it diverse, and having two Collings koa concert ukes is quite redundant. You see, I got sucked in by the bling factor on the UC3K and couldn't resist, assuming it would essentially just be an aesthetic upgrade. However, after having both ukes together for a couple days, I feel like the UC2K is the one that actually sounds better. They're very close, and if I couldn't compare side-by-side I certainly wouldn't complain about the UC3K sound, but the UC2K definitely is a bit richer, fuller, and just sounds more open overall. I'm hopeful that the UC3K just needs a little more time and playing to open up. So, I eventually need to sell one of these instruments, and for now I'm going to keep the UC2K listed.

I really can't believe this is still here. It's essentially brand new with warranty registration available, has some of the best koa I've seen in a Collings, Collings has stopped making ukuleles for the time being, and it's priced really attractively.

I don't doubt this. For the price that it is, I would want a sound sample. How about a reference to something similar?

Last edited:
I don't doubt this. For the price that it is, I would want a sound sample. How about a reference to something similar?

Totally understand, and I intended yesterday to make a sound sample to post here, but I'm having an extremely busy work week so it might not happen until the weekend. In the meantime, here's a clip from HMS using the same model. The serial number in the demo is #1451, whereas mine is #1499, so they're not too far apart in build time. Knowing Collings' consistency, that likely doesn't mean much, but just a note. Anyway, I think clip is very representative of the tone of mine (and I presume most Collings koa concerts), with Corey's playing being orders of magnitude better than my own, obviouosly.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/92696845

As far as a reference to something similar, I'm not sure I can really think of anything else that sounds or feels quite like a Collings concert. It definitely isn't like any of the traditional Hawaiian builds like the K-brands. It's got a bit of a jangle and more of a vintage tone to my ears. I've always felt that Collings' ukuleles have a ton of tonal character and nuance, which is one reason I like them so much. The other main reason is that they are so well balanced and ease of playing is outstanding. They are very light instruments that project and resonate very well. It's really a professional level instrument in all regards.

Thanks for everyone's interest and I do apologize for the delay in getting a sound sample up here.

-Steve

Last edited:
Oh Boy

Here's a bump while I am chewing on it...
Do you ever post anything other than asking for a sound sample? Just wondering...it's kind of strange. I guess if I were super interested in buying it I may politely ask through pm. Good luck with your sale Telperion!!!!!

Last edited:
Gorgeous Steve. I hope no seller's remorse when remembering the differences in the 2 and 3. Either way, a Uke for the ages.... and someone is going to get quite a winner.

Best with the sale.

This wonderful Collings has been sold. Thanks for everyone's interest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom