Nooooo!!!

MickeyD

Reaction score
I dropped my "travel" uke on my pedal board - the metal was not good for it...still plays just fine and doesn't look like it will spread, but still...noooooooooo!!!!!

IMG_20170322_055040.jpg

I know this won't make you feel any better, but your binding did exactly what it's meant to do-- took the brunt of the impact and prevented serious damage to the wood. The only pristine instruments are the ones that never get played-- that ding is a badge of honor!

Ouch. :( (Forum says I can't ouch for less than ten characters.)

Oh, too bad! Having said that, I subscribe to the "badge of honor" theory. I dinged my (at the time) favorite uke while going up the stairs to the stage the first time I played in public. I was very upset when it happened, but now it's a visible reminder of a great night. Of course, dropping it isn't exactly the same. :)

It's really interesting - I was in a hard rockin' band for about a decade and I abused my Fender Strat like nobody's business. Once I started collecting ukes I began babying my instruments. But yeah, it lives in my backpack and travels the world so I shouldn't be too surprised it fell hard, just surprised that the fall happened at home!

i have seen way worse than that bit of cosmetic damage. take some heart and please, just play it.

Chuck - I will indeed keep playing it! It's still coming with me to Mexico in a week and a half!

Once you've played it this much, nobody will notice.images.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Yeah. Ouch! It is difficult to tell from the photo but it looks like the gloss finish suffered the majority of the damage and left the wood quite intact. Not bad, considering how it could have ended up. I wonder how a non-gloss instrument would look after an identical hit... I'm thinking it wouldn't be as noticeable.

It took me a few seconds to even find it!

But now I think I'm going to have everyone I play with sign one of my ukes. I'd rather have my friends' autographs than Jake's, and I don't have to stand in line.

Uff...that was painful...agree with the badge of honor theory...but I'm sure it will not be the same!!!

At least you didn't sit/throw yourself on it while it lay on your bed in the dark, like I did with a soprano once. :p I was so upset about the total destruction of it by an ass that I didn't even think of taking a photo.

The good thing is that after a while you will get used to it and won't see it anymore every time you pick it up. Just the other day I was going to show a friend the gouge that I put in the finish on my Mainland the first week that I had it, as an example of what not to do, and it took me a minute or two to find it.

GC talked me into taking a really nice Taylor nylon string guitar home, with the bring it back if not satisfied policy they had then. Well, I scratched it big time. I felt so bad that I immediately paid them $2k without even telling them what happened. I still have it, almost twenty years later.

GC talked me into taking a really nice Taylor nylon string guitar home, with the bring it back if not satisfied policy they had then. Well, I scratched it big time. I felt so bad that I immediately paid them $2k without even telling them what happened. I still have it, almost twenty years later.

Yeah I ended up with a really sweet Collings UT-2 by doing that, only it was a ding, in the first 24 hours of my 48 hour trail period... :p

Top Bottom