PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Music Supply (HMS)

Santa
03-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Have heard a lot of good reports about HMS, my problem is in getting them to respond to an email, I also attempted to contact them via the site contact form, its now 7 days since I inquired about a uke I wish to buy, not a word other than an auto response email suggesting a phone call may be a better alternative and that they may not respond to my email in a timely manner. (time difference makes this a problem)

I know exactly what I want and am ready to order, just need a little more info, frustrating.:confused:

Brad Bordessa
03-24-2017, 02:53 PM
I'm sure someone more in the know will pipe in, but Andrew guys are SLAMMING these days. Most times I've emailed HMS Andrew has responded to me personally and he's, without a doubt, the hardest working/busiest guy in the shop (maybe even in the state). I'd try giving them a call if you can swing the time change. It is Hawai'i, after all... :-)

Ukulele Eddie
03-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Santa - That certainly is frustrating. I've always found them responsive, so maybe your email didn't get through. I would definitely recommend calling if you can. While they are busy, they are always eager to help customers/potential customers.

Santa
03-24-2017, 03:31 PM
I'm sure someone more in the know will pipe in, but Andrew guys are SLAMMING these days. Most times I've emailed HMS Andrew has responded to me personally and he's, without a doubt, the hardest working/busiest guy in the shop (maybe even in the state). I'd try giving them a call if you can swing the time change. It is Hawai'i, after all... :-)

Thanks Brad, just tried calling them, 2.30 PM Friday over there, recorded message asking me to leave phone number for call back, these guys certainly are difficult to contact.:(

Looks like I may have to find a retailer on mainland US.

Santa
03-24-2017, 03:35 PM
Santa - That certainly is frustrating. I've always found them responsive, so maybe your email didn't get through. I would definitely recommend calling if you can. While they are busy, they are always eager to help customers/potential customers.

Yep! frustrating is the word Eddie, have now emailed, used the contact form on their site and phoned without success.

Its a shame, have heard such good things about them.

hawaii 50
03-24-2017, 03:37 PM
try calling Andrew directly on his cell 808 781 9168

Santa
03-24-2017, 03:51 PM
try calling Andrew directly on his cell 808 781 9168

No luck, not available, message, just about ready to give up.

SoloRule
03-24-2017, 04:01 PM
Please don't give up.
The first time I tried them. No one ever answered the call. I was not a member here therefore I knew nothing about this shop. I was like you. Frustrated and lost interest buying from them. I was surprised when I received a call from Andrew ( the owner). He saw my number showed up several time on the same day so he knew someone should return the call. I visited the shop and the warehouse when I was in Hawaii. Nice people. Eager to help. You will not disappoint! Just keep trying or email Zach. His email address is on the site.

Santa
03-24-2017, 04:07 PM
Please don't give up.
The first time I tried them. No one ever answered the call. I was not a member here therefore I knew nothing about this shop. I was like you. Frustrated and lost interest buying from them. I was surprised when I received a call from Andrew ( the owner). He saw my number showed up several time on the same day so he knew someone should return the call. I visited the shop and the warehouse when I was in Hawaii. Nice people. Eager to help. You will not disappoint! Just keep trying or email Zach. His email address is on the site.

Thanks Brenda,

Believe it or not just received a call from Andrew, similar situation to you, he was extremely helpful and apologetic, seems something may happen now.:)

Southern Marylander
03-24-2017, 04:22 PM
I ordered from HMS last month. Don't give up on them. They're awesome and worth a bit of patience.

SoloRule
03-24-2017, 04:47 PM
I am glad everything worked out
You just got special attention from The boss himself.
Enjoy. Please post pic of your uke

Santa
03-24-2017, 07:28 PM
Thanks to all who have taken time to reply, as I said, have spoken to Andrew who has already had one of his people email photos, a selection has been made, now a matter of sorting out the detail.:)

UkuleleSprinter
03-25-2017, 08:27 AM
The HMS crew are a great bunch! Good to hear you finally got in contact with Andrew, you will not be disappointed with whatever you choose to order.

johnson430
03-25-2017, 07:59 PM
Glad to see you were able to get in contact with someone.
Good luck, I hope you find a keeper.

experimentjon
03-26-2017, 12:53 PM
Glad you were able to get in touch--I've only ever contacted them once via email and got a response from Andrew in a timely manner. I was trying to get on the wait list for an upcoming instrument...hoping that it happens by around year-end.

WifeOnFourStrings
06-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know what the current estimate is for HMS returning customer voicemails? I called the number on my packing invoice after 4pm ET (i.e. after 10am Hawaii time) and I'm wondering if I should continue waiting for a response or try calling again. :confused:

Santa
06-02-2017, 04:07 PM
Well! that was a bit of a marathon, 7 weeks ago I made my first post in this thread, 2 days ago the Ziricote tenor I chose arrived safe and sound in MD.

Biggest problem was the fact that we were trying to coordinate purchase and delivery between HMS, myself (in Australia) and my daughter (in the US).

All a bit of a marathon, so the conclusion is I will have a nice new Kala tenor awaiting my arrival in about 6 weeks, all's well that ends well.:)

WifeOnFourStrings
06-02-2017, 04:23 PM
Send an email, they will get back to you quickly.

Ok.

Well! that was a bit of a marathon, 7 weeks ago I made my first post in this thread, 2 days ago the Ziricote tenor I chose arrived safe and sound in MD.

Biggest problem was the fact that we were trying to coordinate purchase and delivery between HMS, myself (in Australia) and my daughter (in the US).

All a bit of a marathon, so the conclusion is I will have a nice new Kala tenor awaiting my arrival in about 6 weeks, all's well that ends well.:)

I'm glad to hear everything worked out.

mmfitzsimons
06-02-2017, 04:26 PM
I'm glad you got that sorted. I've bought three ukes from them, and I have to say, buying from the Ukulele Site has been the greatest online retail experience I've ever had. Cuz it's not really online; it's the corner shop that totally knows its products and its customer base. The selection and pricing and service and follow through is just unreal.

And for the record, I have no connection to them other than sending them money for awesome ukes. :)

Santa
06-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Does anyone know what the current estimate is for HMS returning customer voicemails? I called the number on my packing invoice after 4pm ET (i.e. after 10am Hawaii time) and I'm wondering if I should continue waiting for a response or try calling again. :confused:

Don't hold your breath waiting, they will get back to you, however, in my recent experience, when they get around to it, seems they work on island time.:)

Kimosabe
06-02-2017, 08:37 PM
Not sure I'm really comfortable with the snarky comment about island time. I live on the island and have had HMS deliver several ukes to my door, promptly. Stop by their shop in Haleiwa and workshop in Wahiawa, some of the nicest and most down to earth people you'll ever meet, and damn fine ukulele players and humble about it. Best ukulele shop in the world, hands down. Maybe you need some island time.

WifeOnFourStrings
06-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Don't hold your breath waiting, they will get back to you, however, in my recent experience, when they get around to it, seems they work on island time.:)

Actually, it appears email is best way to reach them. I emailed Zach (since it fell under "questions regarding your order") but it was Andrew himself who responded a couple of hours later. :)

etudes
06-03-2017, 12:54 PM
I cut them slack recognizing all the 'added value' they offer with their videos, podcasts, and expert setup. Not to mention great service if for some reason you aren't happy with your uke purchase.

Uncle Leroy
06-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Well, when you are "slamming busy", one might consider adding employees. Just saying'. I have purchased several ukes from them and have never been disappointed. My only issue is the wait time. That said, I do appreciate the setup work that they provide.

Martinlover
06-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Did you check your "junk" email folder?

sam13
06-04-2017, 04:08 PM
I cut them slack recognizing all the 'added value' they offer with their videos, podcasts, and expert setup. Not to mention great service if for some reason you aren't happy with your uke purchase.

I agree with your points.

Also, I like Andrew.

He is super gent, caring and thoughtful and I like to know I am financially supporting him and his family with my purchases because of the tremendous extra value he adds to his business and thereby all of us.

So while I want my Uke sooner, I choose to wait for all of the reasons stated.

Nickie
06-04-2017, 06:11 PM
I have not yet had the pleasure of dealing with them. I've never heard one bad (legit) complaint about them. And they showcase the best players in the world!
And who else would chuck Moore have auction off his ukes?

hawaii 50
06-04-2017, 10:07 PM
I agree with your points.

Also, I like Andrew.

He is super gent, caring and thoughtful and I like to know I am financially supporting him and his family with my purchases because of the tremendous extra value he adds to his business and thereby all of us.

So while I want my Uke sooner, I choose to wait for all of the reasons stated.

nice Simon...not only does Andrew support his family he has 10 full time employees with family too....they all get great pay and full health insurance...not bad for a small company in Hawaii(Wahiawa by the way try to google this town and see how small)...:)

coolcow
06-08-2017, 02:33 AM
I am a repeat customer, I lost counts on how many ukulele I bought from HMS. Yes they might be a little hard to get thru nowsaday, but at the end I still received their responds. I know it might get extremely frustrated for not being able to contact anyone at HMS but I sincerely hope you'll get to know Andrew and his staffs, they are caring and helpful in anyway. :)

AndrewKuker
06-08-2017, 04:20 AM
I’ve been planning a “help desk” at the site. Give me a month, tops, and I’ll have it ready. It’ll be for two hours in the morning and two in the afternoon. At those times we'll have someone standing by and helping online, and you can reference any emails we haven't gotten to. One of us, Me, Zach, Corey, Kalei, or Noah. Designated times will show up at the footer of our site each day.
I am really hoping that will help with some of the holes in our responsiveness and communication. Setup time is not a simple fix. Everyone doing this work has been full time for at least 5 years. Experience is so valuable. Anyway, big mahalos to the good folks here, much gratitude!

luv2uke
06-08-2017, 11:02 AM
Andrew, that sounds like a great idea! Many thanks for all the help I was given by you and your staff when making purchases from HMS.

Pueo
06-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Excellent idea Andrew!
Those of us who know you and have dealt with you - we are your champions because you deserve it.

sam13
06-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Andrew. Superb idea. Love ya man.

Santa
06-08-2017, 05:47 PM
I’ve been planning a “help desk” at the site. Give me a month, tops, and I’ll have it ready. It’ll be for two hours in the morning and two in the afternoon. At those times we'll have someone standing by and helping online, and you can reference any emails we haven't gotten to. One of us, Me, Zach, Corey, Kalei, or Noah. Designated times will show up at the footer of our site each day.
I am really hoping that will help with some of the holes in our responsiveness and communication. Setup time is not a simple fix. Everyone doing this work has been full time for at least 5 years. Experience is so valuable. Anyway, big mahalos to the good folks here, much gratitude!

Morning Andrew,

No criticism intended in my posts, was simply relating my experience in dealing with Hawaii Music Supply.

The whole deal was complicated by my trying to place and order from Australia and have it delivered to an address in the US, sounds simple, however, trying to coordinate the process was kind of awkward.

Regardless, all's well that ends well, the uke is now safely in the hands of my daughter in MD.

Thanks to Andrew and Zach, for your service and patience in dealing with an awkward situation.

In case anyone is wondering, yes, I would buy from HMS again, without hesitation.:)

Uncle Leroy
06-13-2017, 10:32 PM
I just received this beautiful uke from them this past Monday. Great setup. Well worth the wait.

Nickie
06-16-2017, 06:51 AM
Congratulations Leroy, such a looker!