HELP: Send a uke to a kid in a refugee camp!

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi UU,

Shropshire Music Foundation is one of my very favorite non-profit charities.
On a shoestring budget, Liz Shropshire and a few staff create music programs for kids in refugee camps all over the world. They are ASTONISHING and have touched thousands of lives.

And they do it with ukuleles! The way they do this is to give chosen teen leaders a ukulele, teach them how to play it, and then train those teen leaders to work with younger kids (who usually sing and learn to play the penny whistle). Much of the time, the instrument given to a child is the single thing a child owns (imagine a penny whistle as your only belonging!).

www.teachingchildrenpeace.org

Right now Shropshire's newest programs work with Syrian children in refugee camps in Greece, and they are in a ukulele crisis (see below). Each one of the ukes that need transporting represent a classroom or more full of children who will be touched by the program.
Please read Liz's letter, take a look at her website, offer ideas, and help or donate if you can.
I want to make a further suggestion: If you reach out to Liz in any way, let her know that you're a UU member. Let's show her what we're made of!

Thanks for considering this amazing effort,
Tracie Anderson

"Greetings UU!

I run the Shropshire Music Foundation, helping children and young people in conflict zones build leadership, peacemaking skills, and resilience to extremism through grassroots music education.

I am currently working with Syrian and Yazidi Refugees in Greek Refugee Camps. I have 13 ukulele students and only 2 ukuleles.

I have more ukuleles in Arizona and in Kosovo, but no way to get these ukes to Greece.

Can you help either with transporting the ukuleles to Greece or buying new ones here? If you can help with transport, please contact me directly at info@shropshirefoundation.org. I can meet you in Thessaloniki or Athens. If you can help with buying new ones, please donate at http://www.shropshirefoundation.org/get-involved/ways-to-give and make a note that your donation is to be used for new ukuleles for our Greece Program.

Thank you so much.

Liz Shropshire
Shropshire Music Foundation
Kosovo
N. Ireland
Uganda
www.teachingchildrenpeace.org
Helping children and young people in conflict zones build leadership, peacemaking skills, and resilience to extremism through grassroots music education."

Last edited:
e5291aa4d77fce5.jpg

These are a few of the teen leaders in a refugee camp learning the uke in preparation to teach music to younger kids.

Last edited:
Jumping in with this amazing mission.
I will do my job, do not worry

Hope others from UU do the same!
take care

Mimmo (Aquilastrings owner & founder) Italy

THANK YOU Mimmo!! I'm thrilled that you can help. It's especially exciting to have new support for SMF over in Europe!
Hope others here will come on board as well. :)

Here's a video of a Shropshire project in a Kosovo refugee camp showing the teen volunteers - some with donated ukes - working with younger children: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfVTkieKsLo
Notice their "drums" are simply the tables in the room.

Last edited:
Wow, this brought tears to my eyes. Could you use a donation of brand new Aquila strings for concert size? Or do you prefer cash donations?

Wow, this brought tears to my eyes. Could you use a donation of brand new Aquila strings for concert size? Or do you prefer cash donations?

Hi Nickie,
Because the new project is way over in Greece, the best contribution is by tax deductible contribution on the website above.
They've not yet been able to afford concert sized ukes, but maybe some day!
Thanks much for your support, every donation counts.

Ciao Trace,
12 ukuleles are on the way since yesterday to Greek togheter 20 sets of Kids sets (colured ukulele strings suitable for education)
Everything will be at the best, do not worry.
take care
Mimmo

WOWZA!!!
Ukulele crisis resolved, with the help of UU's international network. Isn't that about the coolest thing ever???
So grateful, Mimmo!!

Ciao Trace,
12 ukuleles are on the way since yesterday to Greek togheter 20 sets of Kids sets (colured ukulele strings suitable for education)
Everything will be at the best, do not worry.
take care
Mimmo

Great effort there Mimmo. Well done.

Top Bottom