Lazy string changer

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am a self admitted string changing junky. I will burn through a number of different sets in search of the "one" set that sounds best. Sometimes mixing and matching until I am happy. But when I do find the set that sounds best to me I stick with it.
Here in lies the problem........or one I just discovered a few days ago. I can go a long time without changing strings on these instruments and not realize it.

Simon came over with some of his ukes and we were going to do some back to back blind sound samplings. I was critically going through some of my ukes and realized most of the wound strings looked dull and cruddy. I keep a slip of paper in the compartment of each case noting the strings and last time changed.

I'iwi..........Aug 2016
LfdM ......April 2016
Kamaka ..Feb 2016

Not good :wallbash:

I changed out the LfdM and holy smokes what a difference ( I hope Luis is not reading this). Then the I'iwi and Kamaka, same amazing transformation. The thing is none of them sounded bad before, but the brilliance of tone and chime, especially from the new wound strings was VERY noticeable.

If you haven't change strings in over six months and you play a "lot", change them. I knew this but just got complacent, I'm so glad I rediscovered what a difference fresh strings makes. Really important with wounds as they gather dead skin, oils and dirt and the tone gets very dull.

They say confession is good for the soul......oh I hope so

Last edited:
"Ego te absolvo." ;-)

I'm the same way with strings. When I'm on the quest for the right strings for an instrument, I'll swap them within a week or two, if I even wait that long, but once I like something, I don't feel like changing them or even forget to do it (good idea with a date slip in the case!). I got into the habit of oiling the fretboards before and after winter, which should help. :)

It's an argument for having fewer ukes! Or, well, for buying more strings.

Simple answer - don't play wound strings :p :biglaugh:

I usually write the string change date on the empty string packaging and keep that in the case...........because I not only forget to change the strings, but I forget what brand of strings are on a particular uke!

I write the name of the strings on the slip of paper..........but you Steve are a genius. Gonna steal that idea. Except when I mix and match up a "Frankenset"

I need to change the wounds on my bari - and I know I'm just being lazy about it :)

Edit: If only I could remember the exact gauges I ordered last time...

Last edited:
:worship:
ROTFL.
Better absolve me too :worship:
And thanks Dave for the reminder. Now if only I could remember where I put all those new strings.

Good one is right, Eddie is the great redeemer. Yea the remembering part is the hardest........now where did I leave that tuner

I usually write the string change date on the empty string packaging and keep that in the case...........because I not only forget to change the strings, but I forget what brand of strings are on a particular uke!

I do this as well. Make note of the date, and if I have switched things up I make note of what string is what.

I seem to go two month and then can hear the strings getting dull. Not a hard and fast rule, just seems to work out to two months. I also will change sooner when a string doesn't sound like it's working out. I have the string blocks which make changing fast and easy. I like the idea of writing down the date of the change and will incorporate that into my system.

A corollary to this discussion is the question of how long do new strings last sitting in the package waiting to be put on the instrument? I haven't had my ukulele long enough yet (6 weeks or so) to have the spare sets I bought sit around long enough to go bad (I hope). I originally bought a spare set of the Aquila Nylguts (the strings that came on the Kala tenor uke) but just recently I bought two sets of the Carbonblack (which I love and will most likely stay with). So one set of the carbonblacks is on the uke and one will simply wait around either to be installed piecemeal if I break any strings or eventually to be installed as a replacement set. But I have no idea how long that will be so I am simply hoping the spare set will retain its "new" characteristics when I put it on eventually.

I bought my uke in 2014 and it still has the same strings on!

A corollary to this discussion is the question of how long do new strings last sitting in the package waiting to be put on the instrument?

I would expect that so long as they are not exposed to sunlight, or extremes of heat or cold, they will last for years without changing tonal characteristics. Unlike real gut, which even in the packet can dry out and become brittle.

I am a self admitted string changing junky. I will burn through a number of different sets in search of the "one" set that sounds best. Sometimes mixing and matching until I am happy. But when I do find the set that sounds best to me I stick with it.
Here in lies the problem........or one I just discovered a few days ago. I can go a long time without changing strings on these instruments and not realize it.

Simon came over with some of his ukes and we were going to do some back to back blind sound samplings. I was critically going through some of my ukes and realized most of the wound strings looked dull and cruddy. I keep a slip of paper in the compartment of each case noting the strings and last time changed.

I'iwi..........Aug 2016
LfdM ......April 2016
Kamaka ..Feb 2016

Not good :wallbash:

I changed out the LfdM and holy smokes what a difference ( I hope Luis is not reading this). Then the I'iwi and Kamaka, same amazing transformation. The thing is none of them sounded bad before, but the brilliance of tone and chime, especially from the new wound strings was VERY noticeable.

If you haven't change strings in over six months and you play a lot, change them. I know this but just got complacent, I'm so glad I rediscovered what a difference fresh strings makes. Really important with wounds as they gather dead skin, oils and dirt and the tone gets very dull.

They say confession is good for the soul......oh I hope so

Stop searching for that "one string". You'll never find it. Fit the ones that sounded best to you and get on with playing your ukulele.

I don't get this crazy string chasing business. There are three types of string (leaving gut out); Nylon, Nylon composition (Such as Aquila Nylgut) and fluorocarbon. The rest is simply variations on a theme. So once you have decided on which you prefer, fit your favourite brand and get on with enjoying your ukulele.

It's not that easy! :p Gauges can make a substantial difference, and with composite materials you can't generalize. For example, Nylgut, Super Nylgut, and Red Series are nothing alike in feel and sound even though they broadly fall into the same category. I used to think and say that all fluorocarbon strings are the same, but that's just not so. For instance, Worth Browns aren't anything like Martin M600s, and I bet those medium tension aNueNue Black Water strings that I just bought won't be just like some other fluorocarbon strings in feel and sound either.

That said, I usually stick to strings once I find something that I like and don't try other brands unless I have a specific complaint or desire (e.g. want lower tension or a different gauge), or there is something new that promises to be markedly different to what I tried. Preferences also change over time, and you do have to experiment in order to have refined preferences at all.

While string expenses can quickly add up, occasionally trying something new is also fun and educating. Like buying different brands of cream cheese, even though all cream cheese is fundamentally the same thing. Or tea, beer, and so on.

Stop searching for that "one string". You'll never find it. Fit the ones that sounded best to you and get on with playing your ukulele.

I don't get this crazy string chasing business. There are three types of string (leaving gut out); Nylon, Nylon composition (Such as Aquila Nylgut) and fluorocarbon. The rest is simply variations on a theme. So once you have decided on which you prefer, fit your favourite brand and get on with enjoying your ukulele.

I do enjoy my ukuleles a LOT when I like the way they sound. With all due respect the "one string" is the one that sounds the best to me, then I keep them on. If I want to change strings until my fingers bleed that is my choice.

We all get joy from our ukuleles in different ways and we should all be free to explore all the different aspects of this fun instrument

Last edited:
What? Beer isn't all the same?

Top Bottom